Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

The amazing Osprey

nice footage here:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXnNIto
Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
kburke

Awesome birds!
One of the coolest wildlife experiences I had was walking along a fairly crowded florida beach when an osprey came rocketing literally within 10 feet off my shoulder into the water for a catch. I only caught movement over my shoulder initially and the splash into the water. It took me a couple of seconds after the splash to figure out what just happened.
kburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Impressive birds, even more impressive footage...How do they get those images?!

I've told this story before, but for those who haven't heard it:

My son and I were leaving Long Pond after 3 days of perfect weather, and we saw a flash in the water next to us. I thought it was a fish rising, but quickly realized it was a loon ducking under. About the same time, an osprey flew nearby, then climbed and circled. As the loon popped up a short distance from us, the osprey went into a dive after the loon. The loon ducked under, the osprey stopped its descent quite a ways from the water surface and climbed and circled again. This pattern repeated countless times while we watched for 20 minutes or so.
We were amazed that an osprey would consider a loon to be a meal ticket. We were also amazed at the ospreys persistence. I always thought that a loon life was pretty safe, as long as there were no Champ sized fish nearby, kind of thought a loon was the top of the pond food chain. For all we knew, that cat and mouse game went on for days or weeks....
Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
ADKpete

Don't forget sg fishing tackle and lines, biggest killer of loons in the adirondacks, I've seen it first hand what fishing lines and hooks can do to these docile creatures.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Tick Magnet

Back in '08 we found this guy dead on the front lawn of our cabin. I called the DEC wildlife hotline and they told me to look for any signs of "foul play" (no pun intended). Finding none, they said to toss it in the woods for the coyotes to eat. I thought that was kind of an undignified end for this magnificent bird, but the coyote has to eat too. Circle of life, right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dead Osprey 2.jpg (141.2 KB, 129 views)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
ADKpete

Yeah, circle of life as long as it wasn't poisoned, w/o a toxicology screen no one would know that for sure. Just for the hell of it I'll take us off topic for a minute and tell a story. For many years farmer's along with others I'm sure would set out poison for rats and pigeons, more than once a dog would eat a poisoned pigeon (I never saw them eat a dead rat)and most of the time the dog would either get very sick or sometimes even die. This could
definitely be similar. I think and again jmo i would have either buried it or bagged it for the trash.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

If you have a chance, there are some man-placed osprey nests along the western shore of Lake Champlain. I get a close up with these awesome birds almost daily. There are some super photo ops.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Tick Magnet

That's good advice, ADKpete. I never considered that someone would actually poison an osprey. Regardless of how it died, it's probably a good idea to carefully bag it up and put it in the trash or bury it. I'll pack that one away if this happens again. Hopefully, people are starting to see some live ospreys.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoron View Post

Great scene...
Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
snav3

I was sitting in my campsite on Forked Lake a few summers ago (2009), watching a pair of loons off shore. They began squawking an alert and flapping there wings wildly. Then, this guy flew right over my head.

Last edited by snav3; 04-15-2012 at 09:19 PM..
snav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
ADKpete

Is that a vulture?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
wildbrookies

Incredible birds and beautiful birds of prey...incredible attributes..,they are one of the best killers I have ever seen ..and I have been lucky enough to see them take fish right near me and my brother, always pissed my brother and I off ,because he/she(the great fish hawk) caught more trout and we caught nothing...kinda of a good fish story while on a pond as we remember it....but,also,nice footage of these wonderful birds..!!..
BTW..!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 04-16-2012 at 02:37 AM..
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #13
snav3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpete View Post
Is that a vulture?
No,vultures have bald heads and a distinctive V on their underside.

When I first saw it I assumed it was an osprey, but I think really it was an immature bald eagle. Look at the large beak and yellow feet (i think it is banded also).
Here is another image from a distance:

Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
ADKpete

I actually did notice the beak, I knew it wasn't an osprey but I wasn't sure if it was eagle or a possibly a hawk. The only vultures I've ever seen had a reddish colored head these were turkey vultures, I'm not sure about other types.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #15
burrswildlife

Awesome video footage mate, the birds are really amazing that are seen in the video footage. Thanks a lot for sharing such an interesting video with us. Really a treat for animal lovers especially bird lovers.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
St.Regis

Back to the poisoning thing - maybe the osprey did die of a toxic substance. But maybe it wasn't intentionally poisoned. Maybe it ate fish over and over from a waterbody that has real pollution problems. Sounds to me like the DEC could have - should have - gone further with the investigation.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

It is quite amazing where they will sometimes nest. In the Poconos, this nest is located on a power line tower right next to route 402.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg osprey.jpg (40.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
fvrwld

Great video. Thanks for sharing. I'm taking a college credit ornithology course on-line right now and I'm sure sharing it there will score me some points

I just saw this yesterday. I hope the osprey is OK.
http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news...-power-failure

A few years ago I was paddling and witnessed an osprey diving repeatedly to the water, making a big splash and just going right back up to a tree. Then her young, which were in that tree, would imitate her. It seemed like she was teaching them to hunt.

This photo is of an osprey on nest at Ausable Point campground...

This is one of my favorite photos that I have taken...

Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Back to the poison thing..in order for a dog to get sick and die from OVER THE COUNTER POISON,the dog would have to eat a lot more poison than what a bird or rat had consumed,and I mean a lot more.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Back to the poison thing..in order for a dog to get sick and die from OVER THE COUNTER POISON,the dog would have to eat a lot more poison than what a bird or rat had consumed,and I mean a lot more.
Yes and no depending on the poison, but I get your drift. But if that "dog" ate a little poison from the same big batch of food all the time, the cumulative impacts could very well kill said dog over time or at least make the animal very sick. Same would hold true for just about any critter, including ospreys.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote