Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #21
Holdstrong

This site seems to offer cost and performance comparisons, and other information (including some fascinating xrays) about alternatives

http://www.huntingwithnonlead.org/in...id=12&Itemid=6
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
Limekiln

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
What a bunch of ****....blame hunters... Most bullets go through deer carcases and those that don't get cut out as the deer is butchered and thrown away in the garbage. Find someone else to blame.
Report"

That guy is basically right. If a bullet stays in a deer it's usually in meat or up against the hide. They don't often wind up in the guts, so the bullet usually comes out of the woods if it stayed in the animal. If it misses the deer it's in a tree or in the ground. The problem isn't big game hunters.

Not all bullets are lead these days. The Barnes TSX's are great bullets and all copper.

Eliminating lead for waterfowl solved about 95% percent of lead problems caused by all types of hunting. High volume shooting ranges put a lot of lead into the ground but at least it's usually contained in a bank where it can be removed.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #23
ADKpete

the biggest problem with using steel and other alloys is they will eventually destroy the barrel of the firearm, this is the reason for lead and copper it is softer metal.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #24
dmartenvt

While lead dispersion into the environment is much more prevalent from atmospheric deposition, that doesn't mean that the contribution from shot in the Adirondacks from ammunition is negligible. And surely, if one is simply looking at overall bird mortality, there are bigger issues to deal with. However, that doesn't mean that lead from ammunition is unimportant in its ability to contaminate the environment both acutely and chronically.

Regarding lead - once it's shot, and it's in the soil, it'll be around for the next 2,000 years or so. Because it's an element, it doesn't degrade, it's not volatile, but it can disperse. Acid rain dissolves the shot and gets it moving (i.e. into plants, surface waters, groundwaters, etc.). The plants and water then become toxic as the lead is either dissolved in them (water), bioaccumulated in them (plants that animals will browse on) or settles and accumulates (silts, sediments and soils). It's also toxic to the plants themselves as well as to invertebrates. So whatever shot you disperse and leave is staying there for the next 20 - 30 generations, accumulating in the soil as well as dispersing through the groundwater.

As to the level of toxicity - if you use the same criteria that Superfund sites are cleaned up to, then a single shot from a 22 is going to contaminate about 18 bathtubs full of soil and about 50,000 gallons of water. A shotgun shell will contaminate about 10 times that much. So shot is pretty acutely toxic in the specific environment in which its shot (i.e. ingestion of a sinker or pellets will result in poisoning and death), and it's chronically toxic as it disperses through the environment.

I like to shoot; and to be honest, never thought much about it even though professionally I've worked on cleanups of many military sites including firing ranges and DoD explosives sites. This has given me pause. I will likely change ammunition. It's funny the things you don't think about, particularly when you're exposed to them every day.

Don't get me started on lead sinkers. Are they still even legal? You might as well just hit the loons and the ducks over the head with them and be done with it.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #25
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/13/ne...ts-of-hunters/

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #26
Billman

I use lead shot under a float when fishing.... far superior to any other shot out there on the market. Under my shot line is a swivel then a short tippet. When I lose any terminal tackel it is the short tippet and not the shot line.

I also burn veggie oil in my diesel engine to do my part for the environment. I just can't give up my lead shot for fishin. Just my .02
Billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #27
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Update
http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/11/ep...al-ammunition/

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #28
chairrock