Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
madison

Middle Branch Moose River/Nelson Lake

I am looking for some short, easy paddles to do with kids this summer. Preferably I would like to be away from roads and state campgrounds and be able to camp on a lake or pond.

I was looking at the nat'l geo. map of the old forge area and was drawn to Nelson Lake. I hiked there once years ago, and I seem to remember that the parking area along rt.28 has easy access to the middle branch of the moose river. From the map, it looks like you could put in there and paddle into Nelson Lake. Has anyone here ever done this? I know there are some rapids in places along the moose; we will have a 6 and 7 yr old with us so we would like to avoid that. Also, I recall at least 1 campsite on the lakeshore; anyone know if there are others? Also, I know alot of areas near Old Forge that aren't too far out into the backcountry tend to be local party spots. This we would also like to avoid.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
I am looking for some short, easy paddles to do with kids this summer. Preferably I would like to be away from roads and state campgrounds and be able to camp on a lake or pond.

I was looking at the nat'l geo. map of the old forge area and was drawn to Nelson Lake. I hiked there once years ago, and I seem to remember that the parking area along rt.28 has easy access to the middle branch of the moose river. From the map, it looks like you could put in there and paddle into Nelson Lake. Has anyone here ever done this? I know there are some rapids in places along the moose; we will have a 6 and 7 yr old with us so we would like to avoid that. Also, I recall at least 1 campsite on the lakeshore; anyone know if there are others? Also, I know alot of areas near Old Forge that aren't too far out into the backcountry tend to be local party spots. This we would also like to avoid.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share.
Yes, there is a NYSDEC sign on Route 28 for Nelson Lake, and a small parking lot. It is a short downhill carry to the river for an easy put-in, in relatively calm water. A set of rapids is just above this point. It is a short paddle to the entrance to Nelson. The entrance is wide and shallow, and in low water it can be quite muddy and choked with summertime weeds. With some effort (in low water conditions) it is still navigable. There is an unofficial campsite on the NE side along a smooth rock landing. But I have seen this site rather trashed in the past with lots of garbage. If you look around you can find other primitive areas to camp. Look for a small memorial marked grave for a dog, something of unusual interest to see.

Please follow regulations and camp at least 150 feet from the shore, always LNT.