Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #521
ADKpete

one more to the forum slacker, my name is Pete, I am 38 years old. I work as a HVAC service technician both commercial and residential. I live in the small town of german flatts in the mohawk valley about 15 - 20 minutes east of utica. I also own and operate a small horse farm with my wife of 11 years, other hobbies include hunting, camping, target shooting, hiking, canoeing. I found this forum through a google search looking for info on navigating with a map and compass(haven't mastered that yet) and I was hooked on all thecolorful stories and debates.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #522
Buckshot

I started hiking, camping, backpacking with the scouts at a young age. My wonderful girlfriend introduced me to the high peaks the summer of 2009. This forum turned me on to the other wilderness areas outside of the high peaks--specifically the West Canada Lakes area.

I hiked the NTP last summer. I also am a casual fisherman. Mostly pond fishing within the blue line, cape cod, and a healthy amount of ice fishing in the Albany area. I also started hunting for white tail last year around the Albany area and Mohawk NY.

I bag a peak now and again. Planning on completing the 46 at some point, but I am in no rush to finish. I have been reading about map and compass skills, and after a long break from orienteering I hope to get off the trail next summer and start to bushwhack.

I enjoy being in the woods for the solitude, and like many members here I want to get away from the crowds, hence spend less time on the trails/peak-bagging, and more time walking through the woods anywhere I want.
Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #523
Justin

Hey Buckshot,

Do you like to snowshoe?
I live in Colonie and bushwhacking in the Adirondacks on snowshoes is hands down my favorite winter activity, along with icefishing and downhill skiing.
Bushwhacking in the winter is great practice for using map and compass, not to mention a lot of fun! If you ever want to go let me know.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #524
ADKpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I started hiking, camping, backpacking with the scouts at a young age. My wonderful girlfriend introduced me to the high peaks the summer of 2009. This forum turned me on to the other wilderness areas outside of the high peaks--specifically the West Canada Lakes area.

I hiked the NTP last summer. I also am a casual fisherman. Mostly pond fishing within the blue line, cape cod, and a healthy amount of ice fishing in the Albany area. I also started hunting for white tail last year around the Albany area and Mohawk NY.

I bag a peak now and again. Planning on completing the 46 at some point, but I am in no rush to finish. I have been reading about map and compass skills, and after a long break from orienteering I hope to get off the trail next summer and start to bushwhack.

I enjoy being in the woods for the solitude, and like many members here I want to get away from the crowds, hence spend less time on the trails/peak-bagging, and more time walking through the woods anywhere I want.
Hey buck who do you hunt with in mohawk?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #525
Buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpete View Post
Hey buck who do you hunt with in mohawk?
PM sent
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #526
Buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hey Buckshot,

Do you like to snowshoe?
I live in Colonie and bushwhacking in the Adirondacks on snowshoes is hands down my favorite winter activity, along with icefishing and downhill skiing.
Bushwhacking in the winter is great practice for using map and compass, not to mention a lot of fun! If you ever want to go let me know.
Dude! That would be awesome. I don't snowshoe at all. I want to get into it this year, but I bought a season pass to gore and whiteface. Not sure if I am buying shoes this year. It's a time issue...can only do so much, u know?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #527
NEranger21

Howdy all,
I grew up in the ADK's near Ticonderoga, graduated from Pauol smiths, and worked for the DEC in the Lake George area for a number of seasons. I spent my free time hiking, camping, canoeing, hunting, fishing, and trapping. I love the great outdoors and am a diehard conservationist. Unfortunately NY wasn not hiring Forest Rangers when I graduated so I wound up in Yellowstone where I work as a Law Enforcement Ranger. I am very blessed to protect such a resource but would love to come back to NY, untill then I'll continue to hunt poachers, hook cutthroats, rescue lost tourists and keep people from hugging grizzlies
Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #528
Otter Laker

My name is Ryan i'm 31. I grew up in Marcy, NY and have camped in some fashion for my entire life. I started out car camping with my folks at 8th Lake just north of inlet. Car camping led to backpacking and canoe camping and I haven't looked back. Im so grateful for having such a resource in my back yard and this recently found forum.I currently reside in Virgil, NY within a stones throw of Greek Peak. I'm married with 2 young children and echo the joy of introducing my children to "up north". I spend my days as a sales rep pushing wine and spirits for a national distributor based in Syracuse. I have really enjoyed this forum. Thanks again.
Otter Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #529
hikercop45
fat old hiker of the woods

Hi there...I'm George - I'm 56 - grew up in Rensselaer county - small town.....been camping and hiking and canoeing since I was 11 - scouting got me hooked....I am a Police Supervisor - nearing retirement in 19 months - gonna spend lots of time in the woods then.....truly enjoy reading every ones antics in the woods....some good - some not so good...but entertaining....
hikercop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #530
rickhart

Hi everyone: Rick here, 62, just-retired reference librarian. Grew up in Connecticut, moved to Northampton, MA 5 1/2 years ago. Have always loved the outdoors and natural history. Started enjoying mountain hiking in the early '70s, with the Presidentials. Hiked only in New England (mostly White Mts & Maine, aside from near-to-home CT hikes) & a bit of Southern NY, until 1988. My father's family was from Utica and they spent some time in summer in the southwest Adirondacks, which formed my idea of the Adks: lakes & woods. Since I was fixated on mountains, for my vacation hiking anyway, I didn't see why I should go to the Adirondacks when I figured they had nothing like the Whites, Baxter Park, Rangeley-Stratton, etc. Ignorance is not bliss. In 1988 I happened to go to the high peaks area and realized how much I'd missed. For over a decade I mostly went to the Adks. Now I've established a balance, helped by having more time & by being nearer to all the areas in question.

In 2010 I decided to buy a small boat to better explore wetlands, an environment I'd always had trouble seeing closely enough. After trying a couple of small boats, I tried out a Hornbeck by going on a guided paddle with Lynn Malerba, then bought one. So now I have a new love competing with the trails. Went on my first canoe camping trip last summer (Follensby Clear-Polliwog-Hoel-Turtle-Slang-Long Pond-Floodwood-Fish Creek-Fish Creek Ponds-Follensby Clear) & loved it. Hoping to do a longer loop next summer, maybe starting at Little Clear, going down through Upper Saranac, back through part of last summer's loop, then up to Fish Pond and around. Then maybe a shorter paddle trip somewhere else in the Adks that I can follow with a few favorite hikes in the high peaks. Maybe the Seward & Seymour bit, haven't done that for a long time, plus it might be a good chance to finally try the Sawtooth range which I've eyed with interest from a distance & on maps.
I don't do winter hiking so as you can see I fill in with daydreams about the other three seasons.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #531
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

NEranger21, Ryan, George, Rick,
Good to meet you (virtually, anyway). Thanks for letting us know a little about you.
I would reintroduce myself, but instead I'll just say "Yo!"
Now, get posting, even if it's last years' trip or next years musings...I need a vicarious trip or two.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #532
LongLaker

Hi All,
Checking in say hello and extend my thanks to all who post in this forum. It’s been a great resource for trip planning, and pointed me toward a few walks I might have otherwise overlooked. Also found a few really clever ideas to retro-fit an old external frame pack for canoe portage that I’m eager to try.

Quick bio. Grew up in Saratoga County. Fortunate to have parents who had summers off and loved the outdoors. Spent a lot of my youth canoe camping, fishing and hiking around Hamilton County. Spent some time hiking in the High Peaks (15/46) and Green Mountains during college.

Worked for about 10+ years in coastal NC after college. One week of vacation in the ADKS was never enough, so when opportunity knocked in ’03 my bride and I packed up kids and dog and returned to the Capitol Region. Now we’re happy to neglect yard and other weekend chores if it means enjoying a few more days in and around Long Lake.
Been bitten by the walking bug since moving back.

Plan to finish the Fire Tower Challenge (8 more to go) in summer of ‘12.
Owl’s Head, Vanderwhacker and Poke-O –Moonshine are a few favorites so far.

On December 9, 2011 I started section walking from our front door to Great Adirondack Steak & Seafood. Completed the first 56 miles - Schenectady to NPT trailhead at Upper Benson - on March 11, 2012. Just need to retrieve a bug shirt and what’s left of my fly box from a brother before I resume the walk in May. Plan is to section hike and fish the NPT , finishing the walk at the restaurant on December 9, 2012.

A family trip around the CL 50 is also the works. Some careful planning, plus a ‘practice trip’ or two, is still needed before we take this on.

Meantime, there are towers to climb and streams to wade.

Again, thanks to all for sharing their knowledge and insight in this forum.
Hope to add to it soon.

Cheers!
LongLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #533
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Welcome, LongLaker...
Do I read correctly, your in Schenectady? So am I, sort of.
And why Long Lake? Did your family hang out up there? I had a buddy (a former coworker) who's family had a camp on Long Lake, still do, actually.
Are you still canoe camping?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #534
LongLaker

Thanks for the welcome, Strip.
Schenectady-ish...Off Union.
Always had a fondness for the section from Indian Lake to LL - especially LL.
So many great starting points for fishing and hiking; even a marriage.
Sargent Ponds/North Point Road/Raquette River is a favorite area. Said 'I do' eighteen years ago on the shore of BML.
Had a lot of good times island camping on Indian as a kid. But it's been a while since I've tried on an extended canoe trip. Like to give Lake Lila, Whitney Preserve or McCrory a closer look sometime.
LongLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #535
rollinslover64

Can't see where I've done this yet.Anyhow,I'm Steve,47 years old,grew up south of Ithaca in Danby,NY.For the past 3 years I've been working 2 jobs.The full-time job is delivering water treatment products and well pump supplies as well as anything else that has to do with ground water.This job allows me to travel a good portion of the state and find new places to hike.Second job is cleaning offices at a Pepsi warehouse.Moved to Chenango Forks north of Binghamton about 4 years ago after meeting my fiance on an online dating site.Getting married in September and feel I'm finally old enough to make the leap.In addition to hiking one of my favorite things to do is gardening.We had a big garden last year and learned how to can food.Going for an even bigger one this year.I've met a few people on the forum and are looking forward to meeting a few more this year.Just wish I were a little closer to the mountains.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #536
Tick Magnet

Tick Magnet

Hi! New to the forum. I just got back to the ADKs after a 23 year absence and love the discussions on hunting fishing and camping in this forum. We live in the Capital District area, but have a small cabin in the southern ADKs and love every moment we spend there. My wife and I have two young daughters and we want them to experience all the mountains have to offer. Looking forward to posting some of my adventures, however low-key they are, to the site. Thanks for letting me join your crew!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #537
Swamp Booger

Tick Magnet,
Welcome to the forum! I look forward to reading about your ADK adventures!
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #538
TakeAHike

Hi everyone,

Names Tyler...23 years old and just graduated from Clarkson University last May. Currently living back home in Liverpool, NY and working for an engineering firm in Syracuse. I was introduced to hiking by my father when I was young and began hiking the 46 right around age 16. I currently sit at 22 peaks and hope to have them finished in the next few years. My dad is at 31 so I would like to play catch up and reach the goal together. After joining this forum I have began to realize that there are so many other areas of the ADK's I want to hike and will eventually get to.

I do a bit of fishing for bass, walleye and trout, mainly on Oneida Lake & the Finger Lakes and ice fish along the bays of Lake Ontario for pike. Hopefully sometime soon I will find myself fishing some of the waters in the ADK's (too many things I want to do, too little time).

Late fall you will find me hunting bambi in the Fort Drum/Harrisville/Carthage areas. Usually spend a great deal of time in the woods until I get lucky and get one, then I just hate to pass up the opportunity to sleep in

"Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery of why we climb."
TakeAHike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #539
Tredhed
Lost Two

First Time Caller

Hi, my name's Pat and I wanted to say hello to all you fine folks at ADKForum. I am enjoying the wide variety of posts -- as well as the wide variety of opinions expressed here. A little about myself: I'm Upstate NY born-and-bred, and basically spent my summers growing up on a small lake in the Southern Adirondacks. The US Army has sent me all over the world, but very shortly I'll retire from military service after some 26 years in uniform. My outdoors interests include X-C skiing, hiking, hunting, backpacking and the occasional canoe paddle. I have about 26 high peaks under my belt. I think the ADK Forum will give me plenty of neat ideas to try (or not to try!) as I move into a more relaxed way of life.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #540
Johnny

My name is John age 30, married with two kids from Rochester, NY. I have always been into camping, hiking, fishing, hunting and anything that pertains to the outdoors. I guess life took over and bypassed all above items over the past 12 years or so. It’s about time I get back into it!

I have never been to the Adirondacks and would love to go for a weekend get away with the wife before the snow comes. Can anyone recommend tails for a semi beginner for a 3 day backpacking adventure?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote