Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #41
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Coyotes are cowards.

He's got a Belgian Malinois that's not a yappin' lapdog.

I'd be worried she got bit and got rabies or mange from those dirty dogs but a pack of coyotes won't try and kill a wolf

They might come to the defense of a pack mate but they won't try "trick" a dog like that into an ambush.

That being said I'd shoot every one that showed itself to my dog.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:57 AM   #42
dmartenvt

I don't let the dogs out when I know the coyotes are moving about, even though they are big dogs; Belgian Malinois, Rottweiler/Coonhound mix, Chow/German Shepherd mix, but they don't call em Wile E. for nothing. I do not want the dogs mixing it up with them. They do get mange EVERY year from them just from proximity, I blame the coyotes, so I finally started treated the dogs with Revolution to prevent mange.

I was quite surprised this time because it was the middle of the day, and I didn't see the coyotes back in the trees, they blended really well with the trees, brush and snow. It's not their normal behavior - the pack is established, they know where we are, we know where they are. So it was an odd encounter. I back tracked them, it was only two out of a pack that's been around for some time; and they looked healthy. The worst part was the Belgian went after them, her two brothers barked a lot but let her go on her own. I expect solidarity even in bad behavior.

The coyotes usually do a pack howl at dusk and start hunting and moving about then. We respect that and lay low. When we happen to be out at night and arrive home with dogs late, the dogs and coyotes announce to each other, if the coyotes are around, sometimes a bit indignantly, but usually oddly respectful. The Belgian gives them a mournful howl every once in awhile too.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #43
Gman

I'd keep a close eye on your dogs. Yes they will ambush it and you never know about a "wolf in the woodpile" Or you may find a bunch of young littler mates that will get a big dog going in circles and when it tires start on its hind quarters. At best you're going to the vet for stitches at worst they'll do a crude hysterectomy on her.

Rabies are rare in coyotes in the northeast.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #44
dmartenvt

I do find all animal behavior very interesting, I will be back tracking the coyotes this weekend if I see any signs. I'm diligent about checking signs so I know who's around when , and there's been some predictability over the Last several years. The newest residents are boatloads of turkeys around this year. Big ass turkeys (possibly its own species!) everywhere. Do coyotes
Prey on turkeys? Maybe that, or maybe a new breeding pair, or one of the more responsible adults has passed on, causing some instability. Somethings up anyway. My bro lost his pup to a coyote, but that was in laurel canyon, a regular occurrence there. No bears around yet, but I usually see their signs in the fall, my guess is they come this way when they've run out of campers to harass in the
High peaks.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #45
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

They probably do better getting the young because turkeys are vey alert and can fly into a tree. They mostly eat little mammals like rabbit, voles and mice and anything dead.

What you're probably seeing is the after effects of mating season.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #46
dmartenvt

I never saw so many turkeys around before; quite amazing. And a bit of off topic for the Malinois fan amongst us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzobIbXyY3c This is why I can't call the psycho off porcupines and coyotes. It's sure hard to find their off switch. They found that out in Pakistan as well when the locals had the pleasure of meeting Cairo.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #47
tommy5402

Hear it almost every night at Putnam pond campground.....beautiful.
tommy5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #48
WiseFool
Backpacker

Camped out in the Siamese Ponds wilderness last couple nights. Was in a tent near a river and heard a thousand phantom sounds in the white noise of the water. At one point I thought I heard coyotes howling, but shrugged it off on account of the river. When I hiked out in the morning there was fresh scat on the trail less than five minutes from the campsite.

On that note, anyone notice how often animals drop a deuce on trails? Do you think that's a coincidence, or are they marking their territory? I always get a little offended after I retrace my steps the next morning to find a little present from the local residents.
WiseFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #49
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseFool View Post
Camped out in the Siamese Ponds wilderness last couple nights. Was in a tent near a river and heard a thousand phantom sounds in the white noise of the water. At one point I thought I heard coyotes howling, but shrugged it off on account of the river. When I hiked out in the morning there was fresh scat on the trail less than five minutes from the campsite.

On that note, anyone notice how often animals drop a deuce on trails? Do you think that's a coincidence, or are they marking their territory? I always get a little offended after I retrace my steps the next morning to find a little present from the local residents.
Methinks the yotes were offended that you trespassed on their territory and they left a message in their language where you would find it.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #50
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Feasting on the critters you scared up. The skat was the TY gift.