Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Grey-Jay

Trout pond snagless lures

It's been many years since I trolled spring trout ponds with spinners, occasionally getting snagged on the bountiful bottom structure. When I think of weedless hooks and lures, I think of pike and bass lures.

Are there trout lures or rigs that are effective in getting less snagged on underwater structure, assuming that means avoiding an open treble hook?

Last edited by Grey-Jay; 02-21-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Grey-Jay

It has been many years since I trolled spring trout ponds with spinners, occasionally getting snagged on the bountiful bottom structure. When I think of weedless hooks and lures, I think of pike and bass lures.

Are there trout lures or rigs that are effective in getting less snagged on underwater structure, assuming that means avoiding an open treble hook?

Last edited by Grey-Jay; 02-21-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
richard1726
46er2618

I think, you would have trouble at the moment of trout hook-up. Maybe a small investment in equipment to retrieve the stuck lures might help.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Are you fishing for brookies?

You can try a 3 way swivel to make sure the spinner isn't on the bottom.

My experience in spring is that the brookies aren't near the bottom. Others might have better tactics than I but when I troll I let out a little bit of line at a time making s patterns around the lake to figure out what depth they're at. My line rarely (really never) goes to the bottom unless something goes wrong. I guess a big tree if I went to shallow would catch it but I will avoid that shallower part when trolling. I certainly will come back to it though and see what's hanging out by the log! I find trolling with wooly buggers + spoon and a teaser is surefire way to get brookies in spring, but they are not deep (10 feet of less)

If it's that small or shallow a lake you may want a different tactic but even the places I fish that the guys on here call puddles are pretty nicely sized for trolling.

If you're fishing for lake trout, or later in the season, you want to go deeper but someone else may have better feedback for you than I would about that.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

[QUOTE=adkayaker;181992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkayaker View Post
It's been many years since I trolled spring trout ponds with spinners, occasionally getting snagged on the bountiful bottom structure. When I think of weedless hooks and lures, I think of pike and bass lures.

Maybe a conversion to fly fishing is in order. We never lose flies to structure.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Maybe a conversion to fly fishing is in order. We never lose flies to structure.
I sure do. #2 Grey Ghosts on a slow retrieve for spring salmon almost always go missing among the boulders at the mouths of streams. Thats where the action is though, so its the price you pay.

Last edited by Commissionpoint; 02-21-2012 at 08:38 PM..
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
EagleCrag

kayaker: There isn't much that outfishes "Adirondack bacon" (worms) for brook trout but if you are trolling, a streamer behind a lake clear wobbler is often good medicine and will keep you away from snags. I used to vary the distance from the wobbler to the streamer so that the wobbler gives the streamer some action. My experience has been a little different than pumpkin's. I like to cast in to downed trees & brush along the shore. I find the brookies like the cover.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

I try not to cast often when trolling. Everybody does have different tactics I guess.

But trolling is also a good way to explore, especially a small pond to create that mental map that you come back to when trying other tactics.

I assume you will be using a kayak?

VT isn't all tongue in cheek, trolling a wet fly behind a kayak with it's inherint silence and jerkiness is a great way to catch brook trout and if you stop to fish some structure you won't be jammed into a log when you start up again.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
Adirondackman

I'm probably the only guy in the world known to even get a dry fly snagged more than once!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
St.Regis

A-man - I've lost plenty of dry flies too, and lots of in places I had no right to lose them either.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
richard1726
46er2618

I usually snag/loose my flies to the wind. Too much lion taming in my background!
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
Adirondackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
A-man - I've lost plenty of dry flies too, and lots of in places I had no right to lose them either.
Thanks - I feel better now
Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
bassanglers912

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
You mean you're NOT supposed to cast lures into trees?? Then why do they always put those things right over the best fishing spots???

As for the original question-
I have read about people clipping two of the hooks on a treble, making it semi-weedless.
Mepps makes a 'weedless' lures: http://www.mepps.com/information/bla...28#description
I used them fishing for pike in Alaska, with a Mister Twister to keep the weeds out of the hook, it was amazing. It also may help with preventing snags.

IMHO, you can't beat a 3 way swivel when looking to slow troll or drift.
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
dssguy99

Eaglecrag, when you say "Adirondack Bacon", are you refering to "trout worms"?
dssguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
Hamj

[QUOTE=vtflyfish;181999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkayaker View Post

I must agree with VT here, and skip trolling and drift!!
Hamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

[QUOTE=Hamj;184165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post

I must agree with VT here, and skip trolling and drift!!
Welcome back! How's fishing up North???
Old 04-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
EagleCrag

dssguy: Yes, Adirondack Bacon is another word for worms. I picked it up from Patrick Sisti, a guide out of Indian Lake. When I'm targeting brookies, I usually stick with fly gear, but we were after lake trout and browns on this particular venture, so I chose an ultralight spinning outfit instead. I did try a few streamers behind the wobbler, but didn't get any takers. All the fish we caught were taken near the bottom in about 20 to 25 feet of water. We also marked a lot of fish on our finder in one section that were suspended at 25 feet in about 30 feet of water but we couldn't get any takers. Not sure what they were. I don't know if the pond we fished has smelt or whitefish, but I could see bigger fish mixed in with the others. As this pond is close to the road, we were fishing out of a small aluminum boat (to answer someone else's question).
Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
ADKpete

Any idea e.c. On the water temps. at the 25' depth?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
Hamj

Before we get off topic I'll throw in a tip, this is for rivers but it will help with less snags, for comp fishing we tie all of our heavy anchor flys (heavy fly at the bottom of our rig) on jig hooks. Since this is the fly that bounces the bottom most of the time by having the hook pointing up it slides across the bottom better.

Thanks VT, its a great start to the season, I have way more flexible hours so i'll be on the water a lot more and we can finally fish together. Also for you other guys I'll wear my gopro more often so you can grab some tips.

[QUOTE=vtflyfish;184212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamj View Post
Welcome back! How's fishing up North???
Hamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
EagleCrag

ADKPete: I have no idea what the water temp is at the depth the fish were holding. My fish finder also records the water temperature which was 40 degrees on the surface.