Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
KEG

Southern end snow depth?

Hi all. Long time lurker.

I'm considering spending a night or two on the south end of the NPT later this week (March 17-20 time frame) and was wondering what the snow is currently like on the trails.

Specifically I'm thinking of going in at Whitehouse, spending a night at the Hamilton Lake Stream Lean-to and if I'm in a good mood when I wake up heading to Mud Lake for a second night (or maybe reverse the order).

Of course I'm planning on taking snowshoes with me but I was wondering if anyone has any details about how the snow is along this section. Will it be snowshoeing all the way or will the snowshoes be more of a just in case. Just trying to figure out much work the trails will be.

Thanks in advance for any help (though I don't know if anyone has up to date info). I've looked at the NERFC site but that doesn't exactly give much detail.
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Limekiln

Take a look here:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi...now_depth.html
Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
dundee

I was out today in the southern ADK's near Stony Creek (Warren Co.) and it's pretty deep; I'd say about 4 feet. In the AM it was nicely frozen, but by 3PM I was really sinking. The Piseco area probably has more snow as it's on th edge of the lake effect stuff.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
kwc
eh?

I believe that the road into Whitehouse isn't plowed very far so you might have a bit of a hike to access the trail at Whitehouse. Might be easier to just access the trail at Piseco, head to Hamilton Lake Stream LT & then down to Mud Lake.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your plans. But it sounds like you're going in at Whitehouse, heading north to the HL LT, then backtracking south to Mud Lake, and then back up to Whitehouse & out.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I doubt that anyone has been to Mud or Silver Lakes any time recently. The snow is pretty deep in the woods right now, and as others have mentioned, Whitehouse is not plowed. Your best bet would probably be to hike in to Hamilton Lake Stream from Piseco. The trail will probably have been broken out for the first mile, if you're lucky, it will be broken out all the way to the lean-to.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
KEG

Thanks for the input. Work has changed my plans so it's a non-issue for the moment. Thanks again.
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote