Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
40dog

Bear Pond Lean Too

Is there a lean too at bear pond . The map i have says yes but the trail guide dose not make mention of it in the description. Can anyone tell me if the trail is in good shape if they have been there lately. sounds like a good over nite spot. and maybe a bush wack to lost ponds and trail the next day.
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
40dog

The bear pond and trail i am refering to is located in the moose river planes rec area and the adk book shows a lean to there but i ? it. hope someone has been there and knows a little more.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Lute Hawkins

Hmmmm...that's probably the one part of the Plains I haven't been to (for good reason: Mount Tom, directly south, is haunted), so I had to look that up. According to the "Discover" guide book series, there is a leanto on the northern shore. The description of the walk suggests the trail peters out before you get to the leanto, and you have to negotiate a marsh and several blowdowns (as of 1998), but that the effort is worthwhile.
Lute Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Also, it's Lean-to, not Lean-too.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Hawkins View Post
Hmmmm...that's probably the one part of the Plains I haven't been to (for good reason: Mount Tom, directly south, is haunted), so I had to look that up. According to the "Discover" guide book series, there is a leanto on the northern shore. The description of the walk suggests the trail peters out before you get to the leanto, and you have to negotiate a marsh and several blowdowns (as of 1998), but that the effort is worthwhile.
The third edition of "Discover the West Central Adirondacks", which was revised by Bill Ingersoll in '06 states that the lean-to and the path that lead to it around the north shore are both "long gone."

And "the trail continuing from Bear Pd to Benedict Creek and back to the Moose River Plains Rd is not maintained or marked."
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
40dog

well that answers that . we are still planing to hike the loop . but we will add some gear and some time for the bush wack for benedict .Thanks every one and I let you all know how it goes. can we fish that pond ?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
trouthunter

Trail to Bear pond is littered with downed trees and extremely difficult. Bring a gps or map and compass as you will have to wander far from where the trail was.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
40dog

well some good news . thanks for the info . I will re group for a new plan but it will still include bear pond some how. any body have any thoughts about the area or time on that trails
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
smith2busy

I tried this trail last year and never did make it to bear pond I started to late in the day and wasn't prepared for a bushwack. Alot of downed trees
smith2busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
40dog

i think im going to try the bushwck and a one nite stay in a few weeks during a week stay up there maybe we will loose a few leaves and soften the bushwk a little nothing like seeing where you are going. bringing game out sounds like a real challange
Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
smith2busy

If you did get anything back there it would definetly be a challenge getting it out. You might want to try this early in the week in case luck is on your side.
smith2busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #12
40dog

its funny how the maps show the trail but there is not a person who can say there is one it sounds a wreck . was there markers for the trail from the past, could they be found still
Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
Roy Wires

Bear Pond Access

If you're really hung up on going to Bear Pond, you can take the old Uncas Road across from 8th Lake campsite. When you get close to Uncas, take a road to the right and go over the bridge. That trail/road will take you to the Bear Pond Hunting Camp which is a piece of private land within state land with a lease until 2023(?). There used to be a trail that went from the hunting camp down to the pond. It's possible you may run into someone at the hunting camp this time of year.
Roy Wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
40dog

Hiked bear pond trail last week and easy in and easy out. Trail was open with a few blow downs .RED trail markers all the way and lots of trail tape too. After you can see the pond take it slow the woods are thick and the markers are spaced out a little . 3/4 the way up the trail there are some pink tape marking a left trail dont follow them i believe they are the future snowmobile trail marks to sagamore road ? a local gent told me the bearpond camp didnt exist any more off old uncas road maybe roy wires knows a little more . Oh the lean to was burnt years ago by some fool i guess. its a big pond and beautiful thanks everyone

Last edited by 40dog; 10-23-2009 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: forgot a word
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #15
Roy Wires

Bear Pond Hunting Club

Here is an exerpt from the Blue Ridge Wilderness Plan dated 2006. It's been a while since I was back into the hunting camp, so your info regarding the existence of actual buildings may be accurate. The "Plan" however indicates they still have access until the year 2022.

Easements

Bear Pond Sportsmen’s Club: In 1987 the Bear Pond Sportsmen’s Club, Inc. sold their
land to the State, subject to a 35-year use reservation on a 10-acre and a one-acre parcel
with camp buildings in Lot 4, Township 5, T&C Purchase, along with a right-of-way for
ingress and egress. The reservation expires on March 26, 2022. In a 1967 Supreme Court
decision, the club’s legal right-of-way was determined to follow a route beginning on
State Route 28 near the Eighth Lake Campground, proceeding along the old Uncas Road,
then what was known as the Old Carnahan Road. The club has an easement for a road
segment, beginning and ending on the Old Carnahan Road, known as the “St. James
Mountain cutoff,” which was conveyed to the club in 1976 by the Trustees of the Emilie
M. Bullowa Memorial Endowment for Camp Bullowa Trust–then owners of Camp
Uncas–to allow the club to avoid a steep section of the club’s original right-of-way. This
easement is When the State acquired the club’s land, an inspection of the club’s legal
ROW revealed that the work needed to rehabilitate the road at the time would be
substantial, and its use could have significant environmental impacts. Therefore, the
parties entered into an agreement allowing club members and guests to drive from
Sagamore Road to Mohegan Lake Road, then past a gate and on along Bear Pond Road to
the use reservation areas. The Department annually issues the club a temporary revocable
permit.
Roy Wires is offline   Reply With Quote