Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
fvrwld

Easy hikes with views in the HP region

Near peak foliage this weekend. I'd like to do a mountain with views. So far (since my ankle injury) I've done Baxter and Kane. Baxter I really liked. Kane, not so much...the trail had many loose rocks and was rutted in places, the descent was do-able but I didn't enjoy it too much.

This weekend I was thinking Mt. VanHoevenberg via the 1.6 mile trail but was informed that it is quite rough. The 2.2 mile trail might be pushing it a bit distance-wise. Also, isn't the South Meadows road closed now? How much distance will that add?

I'm looking for help on deciding what to do. I have it narrowed down a bit. As far as my ability...little ledges aren't a problem...even a 4 foot ledge I can just crawl up. A bigger issue is a steep sloping grade, a couple short stretches I can manage but beyond that the hike will quickly lose its pleasure for me. So...100 feet of climbinng that involves stepping up little rock ledges is better than if that is a 100 slope greater than a 7-8% grade. And lots of loose rocks really suck.

Also...good views are a big plus.

Hikes I'm looking at:
  • First Brother
  • Giant Nubble
  • Big Crow and Little Crow
  • Snow Mt.
  • Mt. Gilligan
    -this may be too easy...also, any views?

Is there anything I'm missing? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
johnstp

If you're loooking for an easy hike with a big payoff, you can't go wrong with Owl's Head, off Rte. 73 outside of Keene Valley.

It's short, not too steep and you have amazing views at the top.
johnstp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstp View Post
If you're loooking for an easy hike with a big payoff, you can't go wrong with Owl's Head, off Rte. 73 outside of Keene Valley.

It's short, not too steep and you have amazing views at the top.
Thanks.

I've been up Owl's Head in the past (pre-injury). For this weekend, I'm looking for something just a little bit more challenging.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
tgoodwin

The trail up Mt. Van Hoevenberg isn't that rough except for a detour around beaver activity after the first flat mile and before the start of the climbing. South Meadow Road is open now - just not plowed in the winter. Your other suggestions have some pretty steep sections, but you could try Rooster Comb. It's a very steady but never steep trail for 2.3 mi. to a side trail to Valley View Ledge. The final 0.2 mi. to the summit has a ladder/staircase and some steep ledges, but it sounds as though you could do those as well.

Hole this helps.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
qam1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld View Post
Hikes I'm looking at:
  • First Brother
  • Giant Nubble

If you can do those you can do the others

Van Hoe from South Meadow is not that bad. The 1st Mile or so is flat.

Quote:
  • Big Crow and Little Crow
Big Crow is short but steep, it's a great peak for colors

Little Crow However, There is a very, very steep descent off Big Crow going to Little Crow. It's so steep it's actually much easier climbing back up.

Might be way too hard with an injury

Quote:
  • Snow Mt.
Nice little Mountain

The part of the trail in the beginning that follows Deer Brook is one of the prettiest river trails in the Adirondacks but with an injury like you describe with it's ups and downs and rock crossings it's probably too hard.

However there is a High Water Route, which is a series of paved (but steep)roads that splits off in the beginning of the trail and by-passes all the hard stuff and re-joins it later near the falls.

The final assault on the summit is a bit steep.

Quote:
  • Mt. Gilligan
    -this may be too easy...also, any views?
There's one very steep section right in the beginning of the trail, but the rest should be easy enough

Yes there are great views towards the Dix Range, Rocky Peak Ridge, Hurricane, Iron Mt and Pokomoonshine (Yes Poko, believe it or not)

Quote:

Is there anything I'm missing? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Goodnow - 2 Miles but easy - Probably your best bet

Pokomoonshine - 1.2 Miles might be too steep

Rattlesnake Mountain (Wilsboro) A little outside the HP but only one steep section approaching the summit. One good view back towards Giant and the HPs but mostly awesome views of Lake Champlain

Severence Hill - Again a little outside the HP, nice views but often over crowded

Belfry - It will take you longer to drive here than climb it, easiest moutain in the Adirondacks to climb.

Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Everything & Anything on the Adirondacks
:
:
qam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
JoeCedar

Hurricane Mt from Crow Clearing (3 miles one way, the first mile of which to Gulf Brook LT is flat) has good footing, moderate slopes most of the way, and very little rock. There is only the little rock area near the summit that you might find difficult.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
Grey-Jay

Mt. Jo
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
ADK88
Tyler

Another great one that SO many people forget about is Baxter. You can hike it via Route 9N, or on a semi-paved road off of Rt. 73 in Keene Valley.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK88 View Post
Another great one that SO many people forget about is Baxter. You can hike it via Route 9N, or on a semi-paved road off of Rt. 73 in Keene Valley.
You're right. By the time I got to your post I had forgotten that it had been mentioned in the first paragraph of this thread.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
timetohike

Coney mountain off route 30 - easy hike, but great 360 view on top
Old 09-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
fvrwld

Thanks everybody. Lots of great info here.

I think I'm settled of trying Snow. The distance is right. It almost seems to be the natural progression after Baxter. Also, I'll be able to say I was up on the Great Range again.

Goodnow might be next week. The Adirondack Raptor celebration is going on at the Newcomb VIC so we'll be in the area.

Then if I can do Goodnow, on to VanHo...

timetohike...where on rt 30 is Coney Mt.?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #12
ADK88
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
You're right. By the time I got to your post I had forgotten that it had been mentioned in the first paragraph of this thread.
Hahaha, my bad. I missed that, my eyes just jumped to the ones she was considering.

Thanks for pointing out my flaws so kindly and sincerely. I can always count on you!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
Trail Tramp

I would suggest the Nun-da-ga-o Ridge.
Trail Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #14
adkh20

Quote:
...where on rt 30 is Coney Mt.?
http://tupperlake.net/coney.htm
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote