View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #16
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

As others have noted, Pillsbury and Wakely have greatly extended hiking distances in the winter due to road closures. I think Vanderwhacker may also be difficult to access. Note also that the road from Paul Smiths to Azure (from the south) is also a seasonal road and is not driveable in the winter, so you must access this mountain from the north.

I like the long hike into Woodhull. It's flat and pleasant, and gets relatively little use (many people working on the Fire Tower Challenge skip Woodhull, since you can not hike any 5 of the Adirondack towers and still complete the challenge). I did it in early spring, when things were just starting to green out, and had the entire area to myself (I also spent a night camped on Woodhull Lake as part of that same trip). There's also a designated tent site not far from the base of the mountain if you wanted to do it as an overnight. From the clearing where the old logging railroad grade ends, turn south along the creek and you'll find it- it's no more than a few hundred feet from the clearing.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote