View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #81
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
If you want to vilify bicycles, go ahead, no one is stopping you and it's been done for nearly a hundred years. But if you actually go look at the facts and get involved with it (you live in Rochester, right? Go join GROC), your opinions might change by looking at real world trail building and shared use trails. And I won't say mountain bikers don't like their booze, but if you can show me one case of a cyclist seriously injuring or killing another cyclist or hiker, I'll shut my mouth and never say another word about it.
For the sake of brevity, I'll ignore the other comments you made, despite my disagreement with them.

I do not have ill will towards cyclists. I know cyclists. I occasionally ride a bike myself, though I don't consider myself a die-hard cyclist. I think it's a great way to enjoy nature. I'm just pointing out that cycling can have an impact on the landscape. Cycling on an old forestry road or gravel track is one thing. Cycling on an unimproved foot trail, especially during the wet season, requires a whole different set of considerations. Rochester has multi-use trails, which aren't exclusively built for bikes, normally made up of gravel and or pavement. VT, which was an example you brought up earlier, has an extensive network of backcountry roads, which are also used and maintained by vehicle.

The ADK's does have some active and inactive forestry roads that would be suitable for bike traffic. Intensive use of any area in the ADK's requires maintenance and upkeep. The snowmobilers figured this out and organized into clubs which take an active role in maintaining their trail networks. They also spend a lot of money in towns that would otherwise be dormant over the winter. If you want more bike access, organize, advocate and build political and financial support for your cause.

The world isn't out to get you. If you want something, go work for it.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote