Ouluska Pass, POIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouluska Pass, POIs

I have seen older posts regarding the Ouluska Pass on the forum and from what I've read I don't think I will be disappointed in paying a visit. There seems to be some specific destinations/areas that members here visit in the pass. Can anybody provide some points of interests or provide routes they have enjoyed using in this area? I hope to access the pass heading east from Seward through to Seymour.

I've never been thru there, but it's reputation, at least years ago, was thick going with lots of blowdown. Adirondac magazine had an article about Ouluska years ago and there it reported some interesting cliffs in there.

Rumor aslo has it that there is a Barringer brake left over from the logging days. some folks have searched for it, but to my knowledge, no has found it.

Comment

Yes, there is a Barringer brake in the area on the higher slopes of the south face of Seymour. It has been found by Sharpe Swan and Ed Bunk many years ago. If I can find Shapre's write-up of that exploration, i will provide a link.
      Every time that wheel turns round, bound to measure just a little more ground.

Comment

I have been threw the pass more then half a dozen times some with Sharp. As far as I know Sharp never found the B brake we have looked for it but know luck.

The last time I went threw the pass was a couple of years ago, It took not quiet two hours to get threw one section that was about a quarter mile, the very top just where it starts to drop down.

Comment

I would love to read the article. I tried searching but had no luck finding it.

From what I gather/have researched, most important lesson learned from others that have endured the pass is to give yourself plenty of time and don't rush the trip.

Hopefully I'll have the chance to post a trip report soon.

Comment

I went through the pass about 10 years ago en route from Seymour to the (then) new slide on Seward. We crossed through about a quarter mile south of the actual pass summit. To our surprise there was a cut trail that we followed for maybe 150 yards. There were trees two feet thick sawed right through.
            The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

davidp If you go down the gut between Donaldson an Seward an up the other side to Seymour . The way Neil did it was down Seymour up the Seward slide. , its not quiet as bad. The worst is when you leave the heard path on between D an S it is thick an lots of blow downs. all the way to the brook Unless you come down the slide on Seward. Going North an south threw the pass is a nightmare
              Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
              X