View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #45
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I believe we will burn off every last ounce of fossil fuels. King Coal, tar sands oil, texas sweet crude, fracked, you name it. Until it's 100% picked clean and converted back into Co2 we're living an orgy of energy release.

At Thanksgivings there was bad weather that grounded a lotof flights. On TV the announcer said that 90,000,000 Americans were traveling by air that weekend. 90,000,000. That's just a drop in the bucket. I have an acquaintance who is a pilot of a container ship, goes all over the world. He told me the number of vessels on the seas at any given moment and their daily oil consumption, which of course was a staggering figure. Then he said compared to air travel that is was nothing.

Now how much impact do you think you are having by slowing your pickup or SUV down by 10 mph on the freeway?
I refuse to fly. It is sickening.

I also live near an airport and get the lovely smell of jet fuel wafting by. I hope to move before I develop lung cancer.

The amount of energy it takes to fly is ridiculous as well. As we are just buzzing all over, with no regard to the massive amount of energy it takes to fly one of those behemoths, and fly at 550 mph (It would be less efficient if there were lots of individual planes, but that would be unlikely due to economics).

Also, being in the industry on the automotive transport side I can assure you that IC engines are not going away anytime soon. I can also assure you that no one is going to give up their A/C and sat nav to get an extra 5% fuel economy.

I also can't see people giving up their personal freedom for a bus ride. The solution has never been to make the roads narrower... they just get wider, and still we have traffic jams.

Also we have the internet to thank for more wasteful consumption. I can order almost anything and have truck deliver it to my door within a few days. In some cases it went on a plane as well. When I was kid we could mail order stuff, but more often than not it was out of a catalog and it took a bit longer - most of our stuff came from a local source.

And there really is no stopping it. It's a global economy... that's the answer I always get when I ask if we can make something locally instead of in China. People keep fearing for their jobs and the top keeps seeing dollar signs.

As for the Adirondacks... I'm not too worried about them. They have been through ice ages, thaws, storms, volcanic activity. Everything that shaped them into what they are today. They will come back even if humans aren't around to enjoy them, they may look different, and they may have different fishes in the waters, but life is persistent, and and what discovery has shown us is as long as there is liquid water and a source of energy, life will exist on this planet...