View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

Don't really want to argue the point, because it's just something I guessed at, but how are the estimates of the bear population made? I would think there would have to be extensive tracking and perhaps collaring to distinguish if one was to get a good estimate.

I understand the hunting is not the best data because it's not an even distribution of hunters over all the land, but I would think one could get a good idea of the relative distributions in the Adirondack park by looking at the town, county and WMU data. The consistency of how many bears are harvested each year would give me confidence in this region as to numbers, although perhaps that is a false indicator due to peoples habits.

I took a quick look at 2016 data and it looks like the density is pretty even throughout the park. Kind of what I would expect as the resources are similar throughout the regions.

Other than human encroachment, I would expect the southern regions around the Catskills to be more populated with bear. Easier foraging and more resources I would expect to push the population. The numbers suggest that, but looking at the trend over the years I would say it then looks as though just more people are hunting those areas. because the trend is increasing in harvested bears. I didn't see any data for tags issued vs tags filled for those areas, but I'm sure the DEC has that info. I would normalize the data for that aspect.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote