Thread: over night trip
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #24
tenderfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
Made it! WOW Thats was tough, but amazing.
Yes! we get the same feeling.

Quote:
So I nearly froze to death
Can't say I never under packed. There is a bunch of information on this forum on how to stay warm besides having a good bag. Eating. Hot water bottle. Layers. I also pack a silver emergency blanket pretty much everywhere in the ADK. And certainly pee, otherwise your body burning calories keeping that pee warm too.

Quote:
Then I spent the remainder of the night thinking, any bear killings around here and how many? Whats to stop a psycho to walk around killing people deep in the woods?
Yes. Every noise is amplified and sounds like the grim reaper coming your way. But in reality think about the statistics. Very, very few bad things from critters or psychos. Safer than Central Park.

Quote:
fill my bottles, thats allowed right?
Certainly, but treat the water. Even if it feels like you are staring at the original Poland Spring treat or filter the water.

Quote:
I was under the impression tht I can set up camp anywhere as long as I am 150' from the trail or body of water,
I am under the same impression. We do this regularly.

Quote:
time I put on the reg paper.
I put date in, and number of nights. Would never commit to a time expected out. I also share with someone not on trip what my plan is and do provide an expected day out and an 'if you do not hear from my by x o'clock...'. Schedules change. Last trip we stopped for 30 minutes almost within site of the car. Nice brook, cool wind, great view - I wanted to enjoy it before driving for 5 hours.

Quote:
offline gps app worked 100% the paper map
Nicely done. I always carry back up nav as well, GPS and a few maps. We each carry our own phone, map and compass in case of separation.

Sounds like a great trip.