View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #14
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburn View Post
Thank you all for the insight and information. I guess I need to be reminded that the Adirondack Park is not just one giant public land. It is subdivided by many private land owners, including large companies that use it for profit. I grew up in the suburbs of Albany not that long ago (late 80's and 90's). There was a lot of untouched wilderness and great places to hike, bike and camp. Sadly this is not the case anymore as farmers have sold off to developers and woods have be cleared. My own parents and friends parents are those people. I have seen what it does and I just somehow had the feeling that the Adirondacks were different. I do understand that they have better zoning laws and stricter environmental policies which make it hard for such developments to occur.
One of the great things about the easements is that the state usually gets the development rights as part of the deal. That means that even though land isn't forest preserve (and may have limited or no public access), it can't be parceled off or developed on a whim. Even if it is an actively managed working forest, it will remain as a forest.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote