View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 05:04 AM   #20
Lonehiker

Go to Harris Hill near Elmira and you will get quite an education on gliders. I have been there. The soaring museum is there. The sailplanes are relying on thermals, and mountain lift to stay aloft. They tend to circle within thermals. I think there are even atmospheric waves that can be used for lift. Sinking air is their enemy. Towering Cumulus can be dangerous and of course thunderstorms are very dangerous. There is a whole study of learning how to find thermals. I have read everything from looking for clues by watching birds to looking for disturbances on the ground that release thermals. There is a device the pilot listens to that makes beeping sounds. It's called a variometer and it indicates the rate of climb. The pilots tend to wear bucket hats.

They can make a emergency landing in a private field if they are forced to. Any pilot has to be aware of all landing areas and potential landing areas, should something go wrong. My uncle is a pilot. He owns a private pilots license. He was afraid to fly over the core of the Adirondacks, because of the lack of places to land.

I have done work studying glider locations and went into the field, because I was curious. I was particularly interested in hang-gliding. Areas around Dansville, the 390 corridor, and southern tier, have hotspots. I even have photos. Bath has a nice place. There is even an overlook of a bald eagle nest. Then there is Italy Valley and many other locations.

I have been to Ellenville in the Shawangunk's. It is the hang-gliding capitol of the northeast. I personally went down there to talk to the instructors. I wanted to learn about the sport. It was interesting. There are multiple groups. I was pretty much acting like a journalist learning about them. I even took a hang-gliding lesson at Cooperstown and got off the ground. Utsayantha Mountain is another hang-gliding site. Another one is near the Cuyler (Swancott) fire tower. It's in DeRuyter. The Taconics have several as well. You can see the sites as fanned out swaths of cleared land at the steep edges of hills. There is apparently, a site near Warrensburg on Sugarloaf Hill. Whiteface was supposedly a site, but I haven't heard of anything happening there. Hang-gliders fly off of Greylock in Massachusetts. Other infamous places are Hyner in Pennsylvania, lookout in Georgia, Magazine Mountain in Arkansas, Fort Funston in San Francisco, and so on.

I have heard people in the hang-gliding community say that it is greater than, to put it mildly, procreation.

Last edited by Lonehiker; 10-16-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote