Indian Pass Brook conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Pass Brook conditions

Hey everyone, I'm heading in from Ottawa tonight and looking to summit Street and Nye tomorrow. Has anyone been out that way and seen what the brook is looking like? I know the weather has been miserable, so it might be dicey. Just seeing if I would be better off changing my plans

Cheers!

Originally posted by ThunderTundra View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm heading in from Ottawa tonight and looking to summit Street and Nye tomorrow. Has anyone been out that way and seen what the brook is looking like? I know the weather has been miserable, so it might be dicey. Just seeing if I would be better off changing my plans

Cheers!
    I'm going to closely follow the responses to this as my group and I are heading up in a few weeks and Street and Nye are on our agenda. Last year (March 2016) we were turned around because the brook, due to the freeze thaw and cyclical winter, appeared like the raging Colorado River as we approached. Everything topped in ice with some serious flow made it impassable. Made if halfway across, which was courageous, but couldn't move beyond the halfway point. So we're itching, with some different approaches in mind. If you are able to make the pass, please post your experience.

Thanks!

Comment

Tomorrows forecast is calling for temperatures well above freezing and possibly even some rain. I'd be super careful. Remember that just because the brook may be passable in the morning doesn't mean it will be in the afternoon when you get back, as warm temperatures often lead to higher water levels in the afternoon when there's melting snow involved.

Comment

I ended up delaying the whole trip down, with the high temps and winter weather warning for tomorrow, I decided it would be best to come back and make a go of Street and Nye another time and focus on a few other peaks next week.

Comment

Anyone have any intel on the current brook conditions? Has anyone summited Street and Nye in the winter? What was your experience - feel free to share.

Thanks!

Comment

I don't know current conditions for IP Brook but, given the current weather, I'd say it's probably frozen over.

I've hiked Street and Nye in winter three times (8 times in total). It's an unremarkable destination (two wooded summits). The trail is unmarked so, in winter or fall, some navigation skills may be called upon.

There's a viewpoint beyond Street's wooded summit with a view of the MacIntyre Range. There's another one just before Nye's summit that offers an equally good, if not better, view of the MacIntyres. If you proceed several yards beyond Nye's summit, in a blowdown area, you get a good view towards the east-northeast (Cascade). I included these three viewpoints in OpenStreetMap:
            Looking for views!

Comment

Indian Pass Brook conditions

It was passable with low water level last Sunday, 1/29.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
                It was passable with low water level last Sunday, 1/29.
                Right on - thanks, Joe!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                  I don't know current conditions for IP Brook but, given the current weather, I'd say it's probably frozen over.

I've hiked Street and Nye in winter three times (8 times in total). It's an unremarkable destination (two wooded summits). The trail is unmarked so, in winter or fall, some navigation skills may be called upon.

There's a viewpoint beyond Street's wooded summit with a view of the MacIntyre Range. There's another one just before Nye's summit that offers an equally good, if not better, view of the MacIntyres. If you proceed several yards beyond Nye's summit, in a blowdown area, you get a good view towards the east-northeast (Cascade). I included these three viewpoints in OpenStreetMap:
                  http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.18...2033&z=17&b=om
                  Thanks, TrailBoss! Gonna use this as reference for the trip. Much appreciated.

Comment

You're welcome!

BTW, if you want to print a hard-copy map in monochrome (like on a laser printer) here's a combination of map layers and features that produces a clear and legible map.

If you're using a color ink-jet printer then you can probably choose a more colorful base map (with slope-shading, etc).
                    Looking for views!

Comment

Working...
                    X