Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody content with their smartphone and apps over a dedicated handheld GPS unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloaded again, file came out even smaller this time.

Comment

I'm confused by your statement that it says "758.3 MB" before downloading begins but then ends up being only 154 MB after downloading ends (or "even smaller this time").

So Gaia reports only 154 MB was downloaded after the process completed? When you repeat the process it's even less?

What I think may be happening is the following:
      1. When you browse an online map, Gaia automatically stores the displayed map locally (it "caches" the map) for future use.
      2. When you request to download an online map, Gaia stores it locally but only downloads the portions that aren't already in its cache.

If you repeat the download process for the same or nearly the same area, it uses what it has on-hand and only downloads what is missing.

Anyway, it's just a theory because it's terribly wrong to predict it'll be as big as an aircraft carrier and then only delivering a tugboat.
      Looking for views!

Comment

Normally it creates a separate map for each download attempt, at least in my experience. Maybe try going into your maps page, click on each one (there will be multiple if it's behaving like I think it does) and delete it. Then when your map page is empty, try again with the full map download at desired zoom levels and see how it goes.

Comment

Honestly, I don't believe my own theory but I'm grasping at straws to explain the bizarre discrepancy between the predicted size and the reported downloaded size.

I definitely agree that each downloaded map is a completely separate entity and the app shouldn't be "borrowing" map tiles from existing maps or even its cache.

FWIW, when I use Alpinequest to download most of the ADK Park (using Outdoor Map), with 14 zoom levels it predicts 196 MB. If I increase it to 15 zoom levels the predicted size inflates to 771 MB. Perhaps there's a bug in Gaia where it predicts one thing but delivers another?
          Looking for views!

Comment

I found my older LG phone's GPS reception limited and it being extremely temperature sensitive. I'm continually loosing or very slow to find satellite lock in a heavy canopy and too hot or too cold it will just lock up. Too many times now when I check the phone has just shut off. I'm sure it has to do with the LG phone but for me totally unreliable. My paddling partner's GPS always runs and has satellite lock.

Comment

Looking at this question from a different angle. Most All of us are in the woods on or off trail because we like to hike and see the view of near and far.
              Every moment we are looking down at an Nav device weather electronic or "old style" map and compass we are not enjoying the view. So the question is for me what is quicker with the required accuracy?
              Map wins every time when on a trail and wins almost every time when off trail. I can not remember the last time I used my compass when on trail. When I’m off trail it is usually just a quick glance at my compass to stay on course coupled with a min or 2 to orient my map to compass when planning my next bearing to proceed on. — quicker than using any stand alone GPS or phone based app.
              Plus in my endeavor to see more near and far my map is so much lighter in weight, every oz counts.
              As I opened my post with, "most of us," there are certainly others that I am definitely not addressing. Those are the individuals who are, what I call, interested in "bragging rights".

Comment

Not bad. This thread managed to stay on topic for umpteen posts before it pivoted to the recurring holy war of "GPS vs map & compass".

FWIW, if it takes someone, using a navigation app, more than 10 seconds to determine their:

- position
                - elevation
                - distance traveled
                - bearing and distance to the next milestone (or any given point of interest)

... then they simply haven't mastered it yet.
                Looking for views!

Comment

Either way, for whatever navigation method you use, proper pre-trip planning and intimate knowledge of equipment and how to use it along with landform expectations and visual association with sourroundings makes navigation life magnitudes easier and faster than by blindly guessing with the confusion of what you are doing.
                  Last edited by Wldrns; 11-01-2017, 04:21 PM.
                  "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

2nd the Android recommendation for LocusMap. I've used it in my lake mapping applications, and it is far and away the best app. OruxMaps is also good.

For Apple devices, try out Map Plus by MioCool. Not to be confused with Maps+.
                    ‎The most powerful and versatile tool for viewing and editing custom maps, surveying, editing or managing mass of your geography data. ● You can use Map Plus as a professional GIS tool for geographic data gathering, editing, measuring, cartography, surveying, planning, online/offline viewing and man…

Trail Boss, glad to see you're a LocusMaps fan! I still haven't gotten a chance to try AlpineQuest, but maybe now I won't bother since you've converted.

Comment

I have both. It's still hard to beat AlpineQuest for sheer speed and the ability to quickly layer multiple maps.

Locus Map only allows for one overlay layer whereas Alpinequest lets you stack many layers. To be fair, in practice I've not found the need to use more than one layer but others may have different needs.

Locus Map has a boatload of additional features that are useful to me. The developer recently revised the Route Planner. It works completely offline and offers full auto-routing (with shaping, via, and nogo points).

Anyway, it's good to have choices; either of these two apps is likely to meet the needs of most hikers.

PS
                      Thanks for the tip about Maps Plus. I'll check it out.
                      Looking for views!

Comment

Thanks for the gps apps. I use alltrails but I will take a look at those.

Comment

I made a video showing how to load data into LocusMaps. Thought it might help some people here.

https://sites.google.com/site/stillw...smapsonandroid

Post has links at the bottom to all the mentioned apps, and the settings file.

Comment

Just an aside, but an out-of-contract iPhone works fine as a GPS, you just have to load the maps via WiFi.

Comment

Not I. Bought a Garmin handheld right after GPS was opened around 2002. Waterproof. Runs on two AA rechargeables. Loads the latest maps. Receives from the same satellites. Used it this weekend for three days on the same pair off AAs. I'm not a luddite. I have iPhones, but the battery life is terrible (and can only be charged with a cable, not battery replacement), they're very fragile (and expensive to replace). The only reason I'd consider trying to use a phone in the ADKs is if there were a data connection, which there isn't.

Comment

I just finished 6 days in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness doing the French Louie loop and used Gaia GPS. It worked well and I had it close background apps. I recorded tracks and waypoints. The battery drain was not a problem, I did not have to charge my phone until the 4th day and it was at 54%. I met a thru hiker who had done the AT last year and the CT the year before. He said he uses a free app from REI, so I may look into that. However, I am very satisfied with Gaia. I use a Galaxy Note 5, big, but the maps sure display nicely.
                                Last edited by TrailBlaser; 08-21-2018, 01:57 PM.
                                "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
                                - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                                X