View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #18
Diadora

This is always a hard question to answer because no matter what type of network, CDMA, TDMA, or GSM (in the near future also 3G / HSDPA), your coverage is based on an "optimum" situation. Different days lend them selves to different propagation situations as do different phones lend them selves to better or worse reception.

I myself have noticed spotty GSM coverage (both on 1900 MHz and 850 MHz) at best though the Adirondacks, but then again I am a little more critical of coverage than the average user since I work as a network planner for the Fido/Rogers GSM wireless network north of the border.

I have been asked this same question when it comes to our network and people are normally surprised when I answer that each network has its own strengths and weaknesses. Meaning, what might work great for you, may not for someone else.

For sure in the case of mountain ranges like in the Adirondacks itís REALLY hard to have perfect coverage because of the propagation issues that mountains and valleys cause. Not to mention, even though I work in the wireless industry, and in most cases on a business day could not do without my cell, I also would not want to see the Adirondacks scattered with cell sites every 3 to 6 miles up and down each highway. Considering this and with the above mentioned comments from other posts, it might be a little easier to look at the areas you spend most time in and look for a network that has the coverage you require in those locations.

Just remember, wireless networks and cell phones are like spices, some like Ďem on their food and others donít.

I hope this helps some...

Geocaching Central
Diadora is offline   Reply With Quote