Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Upcoming fishing trip (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=24311)

GreenHorn 05-11-2017 07:48 PM

Upcoming fishing trip

Hey guys,

I am going on my first remote pond trout fishing trip on 5-19 through 5 -23. Don't worry I practice leave no trace camping and catch and release fishing. I was just wondering if turn over has happened yet on most ponds? I am pretty sure I read a post recently that said a pond was about 50 degrees already so I'm thinking they must have turned over. Any idea if the black flies will be out yet? Do you think it will be good conditions to catch some trout ? Thank you for any input.

vtflyfish 05-11-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenHorn (Post 258591)
Hey guys,

I am going on my first remote pond trout fishing trip on 5-19 through 5 -23. Don't worry I practice leave no trace camping and catch and release fishing. I was just wondering if turn over has happened yet on most ponds? I am pretty sure I read a post recently that said a pond was about 50 degrees already so I'm thinking they must have turned over. Any idea if the black flies will be out yet? Do you think it will be good conditions to catch some trout ? Thank you for any input.

Turnover is long over. The weather has been cold. A couple of warmish days are going to light up the ponds in a big way.;)

EagleCrag 05-11-2017 09:05 PM

And I daresay you can count on running into hordes of black flies as soon as it warms up. On the plus side, in most years the fishing is best when the black flies are the worst!

GreenHorn 05-11-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtflyfish (Post 258593)
Turnover is long over. The weather has been cold. A couple of warmish days are going to light up the ponds in a big way.;)

Thank you vtflyfish. That is what I wanted to hear!

Eaglecrag, that's ok I bought one of those fancy bug net jackets so I am prepared for them.

wildbrookies 05-11-2017 09:17 PM

I hope you have a head net too.. Gotta at least defend yourself with head screening. Most fly dope only pisses them off more. HaHaHa!! Your real relief is early morning and after sunset. Good luck on your outing ,sounds awesome! Report your story.;)

Pauly D. 05-11-2017 10:16 PM

I got one of these shirts and love it. I haven't noticed too many black flies yet but it's supposed to warm next week then look out! They'll be out with a vengeance!

http://www.bugshirt.com/products/original/

gmorin71 05-12-2017 07:54 AM

the worst is when you are trying to get geared up and launch onto the water. if you're not protected you will go insane!

St.Regis 05-12-2017 08:26 AM

gmorin71 is right - the bugs at the launches and carries will be tough. Have as much of your gear organized and ready to go as soon as you open the door of your vehicle at the launch or trailhead. Hope for a breeze.

GreenHorn 05-12-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St.Regis (Post 258613)
gmorin71 is right - the bugs at the launches and carries will be tough. Have as much of your gear organized and ready to go as soon as you open the door of your vehicle at the launch or trailhead. Hope for a breeze.

Thanks for the warning. I wasn't thinking about that. I will have my bug jacket and spray ready to put on right away. I will let you guys know how it turned out when I get back. The extended forcast is looking pretty warm so I am expecting them.

gmorin71 05-12-2017 10:10 AM

I wouldn't recommend spray. Sometimes I use spray and think to myself...what a great idea. some company puts some random liquid in a can and calls it bug spray because it simply does not work. you need to have a net or a neck gaiter. I would recommend a simms or columbia neck gaiter. I have been wearing one for a few years now and love it. I got it because I dedicated myself to sun protection a few years ago and bought a bunch of sunwear, but its excellent for bugs as well. I pull it up over my face, wear a hat and sunglasses and I'm good to go. Just my thoughts however.