Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Paddling in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   St. Regis River Portage (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=24432)

NEranger21 06-22-2017 11:37 AM

St. Regis River Portage

Does anyone have recent info on the carries off Keese Mill/Blue Mt. rd?
My guess is they're overgrown and poorly marked...Are they still visible, or flagged from the river? Thanks for the help!

bluequill 06-23-2017 09:47 AM

Are talking about the area just west of Madawaska Flow/ Quebec Brook? I may be heading there in a couple of days to take a look at possible launch areas.

Glen L 06-23-2017 06:10 PM

Middle branch SR access

Unless you begin in Keese Mill for some very short trips on Upper river (See North Flow for details) the next legal access downriver begins from a pkg area approx 1.5m S of Quebec brook bridge.The big brown/gold DEC sign was gone as of last Oct when I last visited but gate is still there.You have to carry .5M+ to the river. mostly on an old rd slowly growing in. Staying on rd to a former camp site on river is easiest but DEC marked a short spur off the rd to river & register to avoid the last section thru camp area. From the put in you can legally paddle miles upriver 'till you reach the 1st rapid which would require a carry over private (bay Pond club ?) lands. Downriver you'll cruise the 16m level. There are 2 longer (.5m+/-) carries that have received no maintenance since 1st established in 2000. Takeouts aren't marked (look near head of raps) & trails are very rough. There are also 2 short carries that can be run @ hi water. Soon after the last short carry on river left look on rt for a small floating log filled cove. where an old trail leads in 100+ yds to a formerly signed & designated DEC pkg area on Blue mt rd within site of posted bridge. I think there may have been a survey error here As DEC 1st built , then abandoned this access. If McCavanaugh pond club zellots are in evidence, you can carry out along the yellow blazed prop boundary a short distance up river of that takeout. Don't recommend pkg in that former lot.
Way downriver there's a great launch in "downtown" Santa Clara & a midway launch @ mostly unsigned side rd N of private lands near Duck Pond. (haven't used it in few yrs but if you do there's another .5m rap & carry trail (also likely unmaintained) just a short way below this access.
Enjoy

NEranger21 06-23-2017 07:18 PM

Thank you both...Yes, I am referencing the two portages downstream from the "Indian Rock" access. I believe one is called "Cedar Ledge Rapids", they're on the Nat Geo maps, and I've heard they've been neglected since they were put in...Blueqill, are you heading up Quebec Brook from the the metal bridge off Keese Mill? There are a few beaver dams along the river (I only paddled 2 miles-ish up), but easy enough to drag over. The first leg of the trail has some blow down but ample spots to put in..As to be expected, the bugs were VERY pleased that i was there.