Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   "By the Fireside" (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   This is one of the reasons why peolpe should not leave garbage bags behind (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=24467)

Jsullivan524 07-05-2017 01:20 AM

This is one of the reasons why peolpe should not leave garbage bags behind

This is one of the reasons why when people pack up a campsite never leave bag full of garbage behind. Someone did that at campsite 5 in Hudson River Special Management Area and wildlife went through it.

My community Outreach Coordinator and Conservation Field Volunteer picked it up. I am going camping this week in HRSMA and while I am there I will be picking up litter.

http://morganduke.ngo/wp-content/upl.../07/image1.jpg

Follow Stewards of HRSMA on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Stewards-of...5994343868572/

Justin 07-05-2017 07:34 AM

Un-freakin' real! :mad: :banghead:
I can't help but think this is a good example of what will happen if motorized access & glamping becomes a reality at Boreas Ponds.
Thanks again for your hard work in trying to keep the HRSMA clean!

adkman12986 07-05-2017 09:30 AM

What does Motorized Glamping have to do with it? It happened where there is no motorized camping and other areas also. Although it is disgusting I don't see the connection here. Pick up your trash no matter where you camp.

JohnnyVirgil 07-05-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkman12986 (Post 260041)
What does Motorized Glamping have to do with it? It happened where there is no motorized camping and other areas also. Although it is disgusting I don't see the connection here. Pick up your trash no matter where you camp.

Basically, easy access=people who don't give a sh!t.

Justin 07-05-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkman12986 (Post 260041)

You can indeed drive up to campsite #5, as well as several other parts of the HRSMA. It's no secret that areas with easy access often get beat up pretty bad. Mr. Sullivan has posted several times about his efforts in the HRSMA. I'd hate to see the Boreas Ponds suffer similar abuse.

adkman12986 07-05-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil (Post 260044)
Basically, easy access=people who don't give a sh!t.

Basiclly some people just don't give a **** either way.

Terasec 07-05-2017 04:29 PM

While many are lazy slobs
Many also dont quite understand concept of nys drive in sites
They are probably used to campground rules where you leave your trash bags at your site and grounds crew do rounds picking up

They think because its an established drive in site someone does the same

Justin 07-05-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terasec (Post 260056)
While many are lazy slobs
Many also dont quite understand concept of nys drive in sites
They are probably used to campground rules where you leave your trash bags at your site and grounds crew do rounds picking up

They think because its an established drive in site someone does the same

'They' must also lack the ability to read the signs posted throughout the HRSMA that say "Please Do Not Litter", "If you carry it in, carry it out", and "ATV use is prohibited".

These are people who just don't care, plain & simple, and it occurs much more often in areas with easy motorized access. Other examples are places like Harrisburg Lake Rd in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest, Powely-Piseco Rd, the drive-in sites along Route 8 along the East Branch, Lily Pond & Round Pond in the Lake George Wild Forest, Hogtown, Crane Pond, Cedar River Flow, Cheney Pond, Otter Lake Rd, Nine Corner Lake, Sargent Ponds, Hillenbrant Vly, Fawn Lake...the list goes on & on....

skillzman1 07-05-2017 07:06 PM

My wife and I went mountain biking in that area yesterday. It was swamped with people to say the least. The amount of activity that this area see's would seem to mandate a bit of law enforcement presence. Idiots doing donuts in the turn arounds, hammering down one lane dirt roads 30-40 mph around blind corners, beer cans and bottles everywhere. It see's enough traffic of the rowdy crowd types to warrant a drive through check on the busy times. On more than one occasion we had to avoid getting run over by idiots who were too busy being cool to be considerate.

dundee 07-07-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skillzman1 (Post 260064)
My wife and I went mountain biking in that area yesterday. It was swamped with people to say the least. The amount of activity that this area see's would seem to mandate a bit of law enforcement presence. .

This is NY. We lead the planet in apathy.

James, a big THANK YOU!

Jsullivan524 07-08-2017 09:39 AM

I got great news to share. NYS forest ranger identified the responsible party. I found reicept with someone last numbers of their benefit card on it from dollar general

skillzman1 07-08-2017 10:31 AM

Nicely done!
And thank you for your efforts as well

dundee 07-08-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsullivan524 (Post 260145)
i got great news to share. Nys forest ranger identified the responsible party. I found reicept with someone last numbers of their benefit card on it from dollar general

yes!

Justin 07-08-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsullivan524 (Post 260145)
I got great news to share. NYS forest ranger identified the responsible party. I found reicept with someone last numbers of their benefit card on it from dollar general

Nice work, James! :thumbs:
Give 'em a swift kick in the nuts for us. :D

TCD 07-08-2017 01:25 PM

Nice work by James and the Forest Ranger. Hope this will help the problem a little.

Can't resist one social commentary: "...benefit card..."

So this mess was my tax dollars at work... :(

elkhunter-ny 07-08-2017 09:23 PM

There won't be any punishment, they will play the...... "benefit card!"

Jsullivan524 07-10-2017 01:52 AM

I talked to the forest ranger yesterday the people who did this will be getting three fines and he said the fines are $250.00 not sure each. He looked through the litter to and found prescription bottle with someone name and address on it

Tick Magnet 07-10-2017 08:28 AM

Awesome! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

This is starting to sound like "Alice's Restaurant" ;)

DuctTape 07-10-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tick Magnet (Post 260204)

and I believe today is Arlo Guthries 70th birthday!

TCD 07-10-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tick Magnet (Post 260204)

Except it is you and I who are paying for it:

"...prescription bottle..."

Your health insurance premium dollars at work.