Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Fly Swap 2019??? (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=25808)

vtflyfish 02-01-2019 05:05 PM

Fly Swap 2019???

Okay, Okay, I'll volunteer. How many of you are up for a swap?

We need a theme: How about New Twists and Old Favorites? You can interpret that as you like.

How it works for those who haven't participated:
-Each participant ties n-1 of his or her chosen pattern, where n is the number of participants.
-You mail the flies to me with an explanation of or story about your chosen pattern.
-I send you back one of everyone else's flies. They will go out in whatever container or box you shipped them in. I'll pick up the mailing envelopes and postage.

So who's in?

wildbrookies 02-01-2019 05:18 PM

VT- Count me in! Thanks for grabbing the ball (again) and running with it!

WB

vtflyfish 02-01-2019 05:38 PM

WB, I forgot to add the final rule: You have to tie 2 dozen Breadcrusts - for each participant!:rolling:

wildbrookies 02-01-2019 07:11 PM

OMG! If I start now you guys might get them by April 1st! Maybe longer if I need to go hunt down my own ruffed grouse and only shoot them in their red phase! HaHa!!

On a side note, this fly still outfishes a lot of nymphs/wetflies.. I think somedays the trout like something crunchier to chomp on.All the prep work to tie this fly ,does have its rewards.

WB

serotonin 02-01-2019 09:02 PM

wb stole my lightning

vt, too.

I swear
I was gonna volunteer to do Breadcrusts this year.
After listening to Rick Takahashi this morning.
No joke.

Now what...?
A razor-back boar in the back of a jacked-up Ford?
In the red or black phase?

[If you type "Takahashi this morning...",
it might come out like this: "Takaha****his morning].

Surprised me, too.
The podcast is free for another day or two:
https://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/?...eid=96b42fc24a

wildbrookies 02-01-2019 09:12 PM

No, that would be fine Sero! You may take the loyal Breadcrust nymph off of my hands,if you would like! I have another interesting fly in my mind to share with you all! :clap:;)

WB

serotonin 02-01-2019 09:30 PM

I ain't into sadomasochism, but I'm stupid enough to volunteer for Breadcrusts.

Sign me up.

vtflyfish 02-01-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serotonin (Post 272856)
I ain't into sadomasochism, but I'm stupid enough to volunteer for Breadcrusts.

Sign me up.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Sero, you're the real deal. When we finally do meet in person I'll buy the Single Malt!

AND... I have a fly in mind that was killer in Manitoba. I brought it home and guess what? The brookies like it too!

serotonin 02-01-2019 11:54 PM

Why you teasing a guy who just dug himself a deep hole?

I've only got one fan in salt and borax right now
Courtesy of a rock solid guy
We ate the breasts. Wings went to DEC.

The carcass is in a 24 hour Venison stock at the 25th hour.
The legs and head are ten paces from my bed.

I'm doomed,
and it could get worse.

gmorin71 02-02-2019 08:30 AM

Im in!

wildbrookies 02-03-2019 05:03 PM

Awesome Gary!!;)

WB

Stillhunter 02-05-2019 11:30 PM

I wish I could tie flies that look half way decent. Just haven't put the time in to become proficient. They all look like belly button lint balls! I have nothing to enter unless I buy them and that is like bringing store bought cookies to a bake sale.

Adironzach 02-06-2019 07:21 AM

I've got a small box filled with guinea hen feathers that i have no problem mailing to somebody if they'd like to use them for their flies. It'd be the least i can do for the plentiful entertainment and knowledge i've gained thru this forum over the years. I picked them up visiting a friends house a few times this fall. Not sure how many flies they would be able to make but they're beautiful nonetheless. Just shoot me a PM me if your interested!

Blackflie 02-06-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillhunter (Post 272899)
I wish I could tie flies that look half way decent. Just haven't put the time in to become proficient. They all look like belly button lint balls! I have nothing to enter unless I buy them and that is like bringing store bought cookies to a bake sale.

I am in the same failed bodger category no dexterity, no talent. But I certainly appreciate the efforts of all who post their ties, well done chaps

wildbrookies 02-06-2019 11:42 AM

SH,
I'm a 5 thumbs and blind as a bat flytyer, but ,they do fool a few fish, probably more so when they are extremely hungry! HaHa!! So,don`t give up. Practice and patience pays off.

Thanks for your offer AZ, I m not in the market for those as of now, maybe some other tiers will be interested.Very of nice of you to offer the feathers!

vtflyfish 02-06-2019 08:12 PM

OK, so the official count is:
WB
Sero
Gmorin
VT

Any other takers? We should really close the entries by the end of the day on Sunday.

I start tying this weekend...:evil:

wildbrookies 02-06-2019 09:47 PM

Ok,VT... I`ll get something going this Saturday too!! Anybody else want to jump in ,you still have time!!

gmorin71 02-07-2019 03:14 PM

couple more would be nice. Couple guys posted about not being "good enough" to take part. Fly tying isnt about that, hop in if you'd like to participate! Its about having fun tying some flies and exchanging. You should see some of my ties that I posted when I first started hahaha.

vtflyfish 02-07-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmorin71 (Post 272930)
couple more would be nice. Couple guys posted about not being "good enough" to take part.

I'll second gmorin's comment. Go ahead, give it your best shot! We'll take 'em and you'll get a few new and unique flies to try.

serotonin 02-07-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtflyfish (Post 272933)
We'll take 'em...

We'll take 'em... and use 'em, and catch fish with them. :D
Here's an idea; let's see who can catch a fish on every fly from the Swap.

PS> My friend Homer, who participated in a previous swap, is interested in joining this one. I can get more guys if we need them, but I'm afraid of having to tie too many Breadcrusts. :o