PDA

View Full Version : People stories anyone?

Growly Bear
08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
One time I'm visiting my sister and her 2 cubs in the Blue Ridge wilderness area. I was passing by Cascade Pond near Blue Mountain lake close to evening, and noticed several people in the leanto there. One guy was throwing a rope in a tree, apparently intent on hanging up a bag of their dirty clothes probably, as if anybody would want them. A lady in the leanto was yelling at him, for reasons I do not know.

All of a sudden I hear a thud, like something fell out of the tree. The guy starts flailing his arms and screaming and runs back toward the leanto, and with him a significant number of honeybees. Soon everybody was yelling and running around. If people were sensible and had fur like I do, there would have been no need for all the fuss.

I figured the guy must have snagged a beehive, and that's what made the thud as it hit the ground. The rope was still hanging in the tree, and I was afraid they might leave it there and worse, let the honey in the beehive go to waste. So, after they calmed down a bit, I walked over to the tree and began to clean things up. This was maybe 50 feet from the leanto, so I definately was not intruding on them.

I cleaned up most of the spilled honeycomb and started trying to pull down the rope. All of a sudden, the screaming started again, but this time is was more like shrieking. One of them started hitting the side of the leanto with a log. I stood up to see what all the commotion was about, and the next thing I know the guy is pulling smoking sticks out of the fireplace and throwing them in my direction. I really don't like fires and I figured these people were crazy, trying to burn the woods down, so I snorted once and got out of there.

Justin
08-28-2007, 03:51 PM
At least they didn't spray you in the face again like last time.;)

P.S. Was that your poor cousin I saw dead on the side of the Northway between exits 24 & 25 this past weekend? He didn't look so good.:eh?:

Roland
08-28-2007, 05:19 PM
So, where are them mountain lions at?:p

08-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I'll start. ;)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/littlelou66/computer%20fun/icon_beer2.gif

Phil

Neil
08-30-2007, 12:19 PM
I ask all posters to avoid snide remarks. Opinions, negative and positive can be delivered effectively without getting personal.

Now if Mr. Bear would be so kind as to edit or remove his reply to our Eagle Scout and our eagle Scout do likewise with his I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance, people.

08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I did my part and offer my apologies .
Knee - jerk reaction post edited.

Phil

Bill I.
08-30-2007, 12:52 PM
I, for one, enjoy Mr. Bear's insights, which provide a non-anthropocentric perspective on things.

For what it's worth, I'm a vegetarian--and I've heard bear meat tastes awful, anyway. ;)

But it's not likely that we'll meet very often, because I don't camp at Marcy Dam and I hike with a dog.

Growly Bear
08-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Offending posts removed per request. Back to checking on my berry bushes.

P.S. to Wildriver...I really don't mind dogs, as long as they're "fun-sized".

08-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I, for one, enjoy Mr. Bear's insights, which provide a non-anthropocentric perspective on things.

For what it's worth, I'm a vegetarian--and I've heard bear meat tastes awful, anyway. ;)

But it's not likely that we'll meet very often, because I don't camp at Marcy Dam and I hike with a dog.

Since you are a person , I hope I can make a polite comment here. :Peek:

I guess that as a vegetarian , any meat would taste awfull to you. I respect your choices , and opinions , but , mine are diferent.
I prefer the taste of wild game ( including bear) over the commercialy raised , fenced in , steroid fed , meat in the grocery store.
In fact , the bear I got last fall was at least on par , if not better than , the best Black Angus beef that I've ever tried.
Just my opinion. Not trying to toss gasoline on a fire here.

Respectfully,

Phil

Bill I.
08-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Since you are a person , I hope I can make a polite comment here. :Peek:

I guess that as a vegetarian , any meat would taste awfull to you. I respect your choices , and opinions , but , mine are diferent.
I prefer the taste of wild game ( including bear) over the commercialy raised , fenced in , steroid fed , meat in the grocery store.
In fact , the bear I got last fall was at least on par , if not better than , the best Black Angus beef that I've ever tried.
Just my opinion. Not trying to toss gasoline on a fire here.

Respectfully,

Phil

Right, it's all about personal choices and opinions. In my case, it's a choice, not necessarily a reaction to taste.

Bill I.
08-30-2007, 01:32 PM

From direct personal experience, bears are quick to shy away from dogs... even the "fun-sized" ones.

About 9 years ago, my dog and I encountered a big black bear near Little Tupper Lake. My dog was 8 at the time, about 30 lbs, and missing a leg due to bone cancer. She chased the bear into some bushes, where it stopped and seemed ready to stand its ground. After barking at the bush like an idiot for a moment, she finally heeded my call and came back to me...unharmed. We saw plenty of wildlife after that, including another bear, but she NEVER showed any interest in chasing anything again!

So far as I know, my current dog has never had the pleasure of meeting a bear.

redhawk
08-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Offending posts removed per request. Back to checking on my berry bushes.

Is that the same as "bite sized"?

Kinda like cute little chewy toys?

redhawk
08-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Lakota definition of "Vegetarian" ----- "Lousy Hunter"

redhawk
08-30-2007, 02:47 PM
I think this whole thread is getting sort or Ursanine.

Neil
08-30-2007, 03:04 PM
I think this whole thread is getting sort or Ursanine.Is that meant to be a wise crack or what?

redhawk
08-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Is that meant to be a wise crack or what?

No crack jokes please. We may have plumbers on board.

08-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Lakota definition of "Vegetarian" ----- "Lousy Hunter"

Hey I resemble that remark :Peek:
Nice to hear from you Redhawk , Hope you are having or had a great trip out west. Got some pics to share I bet :dance:

Phil

Eagle36Jake
08-30-2007, 11:11 PM
As requested, the post has been removed. I suppose the path of least resistance for me is to avoid bears altogether, even on the internet. Please allow me to apologize for being crude with growly.

Grayelve
09-01-2007, 11:42 PM
So are the tourists eating all the blueberries or is it just a dry season that explains all the bear sightings around the Buffalo NY area of late. There was even a report of one being shot while raiding a bird feeder. Really? I am concerned though because I often sleep in my hamock which is attached to my bird feeder post. I have a handsom recoon that comes by occassionally, checking for handouts or just to see what I am about but I did tell him to stay away from my fish pond. I the deer make a regular stop at my garden in the pre dawn for some beans, they didn't seem interested in my blueberries but somebody's been eating my blueberries ... Oh well, I haven't seen any black bears around my yard. You take care Growly and good adventures to all

ADKHUNTER
09-02-2007, 06:35 AM
So are the tourists eating all the blueberries or is it just a dry season that explains all the bear sightings around the Buffalo NY area of late. There was even a report of one being shot while raiding a bird feeder. Really? I am concerned though because I often sleep in my hamock which is attached to my bird feeder post. I have a handsom recoon that comes by occassionally, checking for handouts or just to see what I am about but I did tell him to stay away from my fish pond. I the deer make a regular stop at my garden in the pre dawn for some beans, they didn't seem interested in my blueberries but somebody's been eating my blueberries ... Oh well, I haven't seen any black bears around my yard. You take care Growly and good adventures to all

could be the birds are eating them. I've seen some people wrap their bushes i chicken wire to keep them out.;) If it was a bear there would be some damage to the bushes.

Grayelve
09-03-2007, 10:24 PM
could be the birds are eating them. I've seen some people wrap their bushes i chicken wire to keep them out. If it was a bear there would be some damage to the bushes.

Thanks for the advise ADKhunter _ Seen the squirrels playing in them so I'm pretty sure they are the bandits. The birds take some but there are still plenty for me in years past. A good friend neighbor who passed a couple years ago did enthusiacally live trap them and relocate so the population has rebounded, along with this past October storm taking most of the dew berry tree out back I guess the blueberries are now in their diet. A couple of my brothers in law are trappers, I'll have to see if they can get me a pair of red squirrels to clear out these grays a bit. Take care and may your treks be productive.:gripe:

Starshadow
09-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Report: Media Coverage Of Bear Attacks May Be Biased ;)

NEW YORK—According to a report released Monday by the media-watchdog group Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting, U.S. media coverage of bear attacks is biased, with 98 percent of such reports taking the side of the attacked humans. "The media in this country are blatantly anti-bear," FAIR director Lynette Pierce said. "Virtually every time a bear is taunted, harassed or provoked into lashing out at humans, the bear is depicted in the media as the aggressor." The report went on to state that out of the 411 cases of bear-human conflicts in the last year, humans were victorious in 410 cases.

-----------------------------------------------------

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Growly Bear
09-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Thank you for that report, Starshadow. Us bears get blamed for everything even though the humans are usually the instigators.

I remember when I was very little and saw people for the first time. I was going berrying with Mom. She left me alone in a berry patch while she went to investigate some rotting logs for termites. In the meantime, little human kids saw me before I noticed them, and they starting coming over to me. They looked friendly, and one of them was holding a brown thing which had a sweet smell to it (which I later learned was called "chocolate") so I didn't run away. Maybe they were gonna give it to me to eat!

Mom freaked out when she saw what was going on, and came running over and yelled at the human kids to leave me alone, and all of a sudden bigger humans came from all over and starting screaming and throwing rocks and sticks at us. Mom and me got away as fast as possible, and she later explained that sometimes people will kidnap little bears and put them in bad places.

I wonder if stories like that ever get reported?

redhawk
09-11-2007, 04:57 PM
"Berrying with Mom"? :eek:

Growly Bear
09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
"Berrying". We don't pick berries; we eat them straight off the bush. People go berrypicking; we go berrying!

2TrailRats
09-12-2007, 08:59 AM
How about "People who don't belong in the woods" stories.

My friend and I were camping on one of the islands in Lake George in the Narrows for a fishing trip. We took the boat back to town for some things and while at the marina, saw a large flat bottomed boat being loaded by a few guys. I saw a generater, weed wacker and a crap load of large wood poles. I remember making a comment to my buddy about the weed wacker.
When we returned to camp later, we were walking back up to our site and past the site of the guys with the weed wacker. I stopped half way up the trail, stupified, because there was a large range (stove and oven, like the kind you might have in your kitchen), sitting on the trail to their camp. I started laughing and my buddy pushed me along because he knew I might make some comment to one of these guys if I saw one!
Later that evening, we were sitting around a camp fire enjoying a couple beers and I heard the faint sound of cheering. Like stadium cheering!!!
I had to find out what was going on so we took a walk back toward the only other site on this side of the island. I came around a bend in the trail and saw a huge tent made from the big poles I saw earlier. I mean like a 2 story, sleep 12, dormers and front porch tent the likes I have never seen before. There were 6 guys, one of them in a lazy boy recliner sitting out in front of this house monstrosity watching a game on a widescreen TV!!:confused:

ADKHUNTER
09-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Hey, I like some creature comforts if I'm in a fixed camp but a TV?:rolling:

Starshadow
09-12-2007, 11:13 AM
"Berrying with Mom"? :eek:

Haven`t laughed that hard in awhile!:thumbs:

-----------------------------------

It ain't the jeans that make your butt look fat.