PDA

View Full Version : Very large,bold Bear in Inlet area

trouthunter
07-02-2007, 11:42 AM
If your around Inlet, Eagle Bay watch out for this guy. There is a very bold very big Black bear in the area.
He knocked out a screen in our porch early saturday morning (5 am)in Eagle Bay reached in and stole my dogs food which was sealed up in a rubbermaid bin.Our neighbor witnessed the whole thing.Around 8:30 he was at my folks camp on Sixth Lake and my sister took some pics. Ill see if my wife can post up some pics later today.
Hes big! Biggest one I have ever seen and Ive seen many bears.

13331Girl
07-02-2007, 12:11 PM
The bear was sighted at 7:10 am in Eagle Bay...

13331Girl
07-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Several people in the Inlet and Eagle Bay area agree that this bear is at least 500 pounds and there has been several eye witness's saying that he stand close to eight feet on his hind legs.

1ADAM12
07-02-2007, 12:15 PM
He's a big one alright!:Peek:

trouthunter
07-02-2007, 12:15 PM
yep thats him!:eek: :eek: :eek:

13331Girl
07-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Here's a few more.....
Photo's courtesy of Karen B

sp_nyp
07-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks for sharing... those are some nice shots. That one is quite large.

The sight of a black bear next to your camp will wake you up in a hurry every time.

We have a black bear residing near us as well. I am hoping to get sight of it this weekend.

wildbrookies
07-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Yes, that looks like a big bruin to me...could tell alot about their size by its head..thanks for sharing...;)

whitefoot
07-02-2007, 04:14 PM
He's BIG, real nice healthy looking bear,
hopefully he stayes out of peoples camps so he does'nt get killed.

trouthunter
07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
He's BIG, real nice healthy looking bear,
hopefully he stayes out of peoples camps so he does'nt get killed.

I hope so too! Im afraid because he is so bold and big he might get shot. A bear that big is very intimidating :Peek:

Mavs00
07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I agree, he looks nice and healthy, and he's a big ole fella too.

poconoron
07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Sounds like this is a bear the DEC may be after, sooner rather than later.....before a REAL problem arises.

forgedin78
07-02-2007, 06:37 PM
:eek: WOW! how'd ya like to walk out with the garbage bag in the morning and come face to face with him!!!

St.Regis
07-02-2007, 06:54 PM
How's the berry crop looking this year? It has been very dry, so the berries might not be too plentiful. I bet he has found easy pickings and won't leave.

Ten to one that bear is going to get shot, either from a home/camp owner or from the DEC.

redhawk
07-02-2007, 08:13 PM
How's the berry crop looking this year? It has been very dry, so the berries might not be too plentiful. I bet he has found easy pickings and won't leave.

Ten to one that bear is going to get shot, either from a home/camp owner or from the DEC.

Ain't much in the line of berries in my yard this year so you're right. that ciould be part of the problem. I USUALLY get bears in my yard for the berries, but so far haven't seen a one.

Hawk

adkdremn
07-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Was in the High Peaks this weekend, extremely dry in the couple of areas I was in. Saw blueberry bushes, but no berries. Met a Keene resident while coming down from the First Brother and he said that bears have started showing up in town due to lack of berries, etc.

unadogger
07-02-2007, 09:26 PM
I haven't had the opportunity to observe many bears but if he were a dog, with his head low, mouth hard, and ears back like he's got in that first pic, I'd be giving him ALOT of space.

Swamp Booger
07-03-2007, 08:00 AM
I just looked at the pics - thanks for sharing them! Being a taxidermist, I would concur that from the pics he looks like a big one - at least 400 lbs. But without actually seeing it, its hard to guess beyond that.

trouthunter
07-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Sounds like this is a bear the DEC may be after, sooner rather than later.....before a REAL problem arises.

Yep, They officially have a problem bear. Yesterday he was reported to be in Eagle Bay. Damaged a mini van trying to pry open a door. He was also seen
right in the middle of Central Ave in Eagle Bay with a garbage can. All in broad daylight. Of course he jogged off into the woods minutes before the DEC showed up!
After he showed up friday, I dont think my dog slept a wink the remainder of the weekend. The poor dog crashed for several hours yesterday in the backyard down here in Syracuse.I thought maybe he was sick or something but around evening he was back to his old self.

sp_nyp
07-03-2007, 09:29 AM
...Ten to one that bear is going to get shot, either from a home/camp owner or from the DEC.

The DEC finally got to stand up for a bear, instead of having to put one down. Although it was the same end for the bear :cry:

Bear Article (http://pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070703/NEWS01/70703008)

Mavs00
07-03-2007, 09:55 AM
:) Polite reminder............ Lets stay on task folks :)

jbrown
07-03-2007, 01:03 PM
The DEC finally got to stand up for a bear, instead of having to put one down. Although it was the same end for the bear :cry:

Bear Article (http://pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070703/NEWS01/70703008)

Aw, man, that's too bad. He looked like a beautiful animal, very similar in size to the bruin I saw at Flowed Lands one night.

trouthunter
07-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Just to clarify: the bear shot in sp_nyp's post is not the bear currently roaming Eagle bay/Inlet area.

TheNatrix
07-03-2007, 04:50 PM
It's a tough time of year for a wandering bear. I hope we don't hear anymore about him, for his sake.

sp_nyp
07-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Yes, sorry... the bear I posted about is in the southern tier...

Just south of Binghamton.

St.Regis
07-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Yep, They officially have a problem bear. Yesterday he was reported to be in Eagle Bay. Damaged a mini van trying to pry open a door. He was also seen
right in the middle of Central Ave in Eagle Bay with a garbage can. All in broad daylight. Of course he jogged off into the woods minutes before the DEC showed up

Doesn't sound good.

Mavs00
07-03-2007, 08:33 PM
All this bear talk, reminded me of an odd -LOCAL STORY (http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=50411&rnews_story_type=18)- (for me) just last week.

So it's not just in the Adirondacks, the bears are running all over the state.Must be lack of food. MAy not sound so odd but I live in significantly populated suburb about 10 miles from a major NY city.

-HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1800+Jefferson+Road,+henrietta,+ny+14623&sll=43.087257,-77.585063&sspn=0.015263,0.033259&ie=UTF8&ll=43.089576,-77.632656&spn=0.061051,0.133038&t=k&z=13&iwloc=cent&om=1)- is a google images map of the area he was seen in. This ain't the country either. Check out how developed this area is.

Weird....... Never had anything like that in this area. Though, there are many bears south of the city in the southern tier region, which is where he psobably came from.

ken999
07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I've been hearing of a few sightings recently in the Mariah lake area from a co-worker...

My first thoughts are what food is scarce at this time?? Are bears usually keying on berries this time of year??...I kinda thought it was a bit early for that line of reasoning, but maybe not....

That's a dandy bear pictured...hard to tell from the pics for sure, but I'd say he's shy of the 500 lb mark at the moment...by fall he should easily top 400 though...

poconoron
07-03-2007, 09:32 PM
That's a dandy bear pictured...hard to tell from the pics for sure, but I'd say he's shy of the 500 lb mark at the moment...by fall he should easily top 400 though...

Aaww, that's nothing. Check out this excerpt from the Pennsylvania Game Commission website:

Bear populations were also at near-record levels in 2005. Bears were harvested in 52 counties. The largest bear was a 733-pound (actual live weight) male taken in Dunbar Township, Fayette County. That bear is presently ranked, according to skull measurements using the Boone & Crockett scoring method, as the largest bear taken by a hunter in Pennsylvania. While not yet confirmed by the Boone & Crockett Club, it is tied for the largest legally harvested black bear in the world. Only two other black bears — a skull found in Utah and a bear killed illegally in Pennsylvania in 1987 — have higher Boone & Crockett scores. Although ranked as the largest bear harvested in Pennsylvania, it was not the heaviest. In 2003, an 864-pound male was taken in Pike County.

That's my home county- Pike!

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=473&q=168199

dmartenvt
07-04-2007, 12:16 AM
My first thoughts are what food is scarce at this time?? Are bears usually keying on berries this time of year??...I kinda thought it was a bit early for that line of reasoning, but maybe not....

I thought it was a bit early for that too...according to SUNY ESF's website

"Food is scarce in spring; there are no ripe berries or nuts as yet. The first "green" vegetation to appear on the forested landscape includes tender young shoots and leaves, aspen catkins, succulent grasses and fern fiddleheads. As summer arrives, wild strawberries and juneberries, along with lush vegetation constitute the bulk of bears' diet. "

The other berry and nut crops start in July. So I'm not really sure why there seems to be more scavenging except possibly a high population. It has been dry but I haven't really noticed much in the way of vegitation drying up.

ken999
07-04-2007, 12:17 AM
yup...PA and NC have some of the biggest bears on the east coast...

The biggest I've laid eyes on was 560 dressed...it FILLED a full sized pickup bed...

ken999
07-04-2007, 12:19 AM
I thought it was a bit early for that too...according to SUNY ESF's website

"Food is scarce in spring; there are no ripe berries or nuts as yet. The first "green" vegetation to appear on the forested landscape includes tender young shoots and leaves, aspen catkins, succulent grasses and fern fiddleheads. As summer arrives, wild strawberries and juneberries, along with lush vegetation constitute the bulk of bears' diet. "

The other berry and nut crops start in July. So I'm not really sure why there seems to be more scavenging except possibly a high population. It has been dry but I haven't really noticed much in the way of vegitation drying up.

right...that's what I was geting at...usually the bears get into trouble later in the summer when the blackberries are poor...I was a bit surprised at this years earlier than normal activity. The sightings I mentioned actually happened close to a month ago now...VERY early....I hope that this isn't a bad omen for the bears...

1ADAM12
07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
All this bear talk, reminded me of an odd -LOCAL STORY (http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=50411&rnews_story_type=18)- (for me) just last week.

So it's not just in the Adirondacks, the bears are running all over the state.Must be lack of food. MAy not sound so odd but I live in significantly populated suburb about 10 miles from a major NY city.

-HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1800+Jefferson+Road,+henrietta,+ny+14623&sll=43.087257,-77.585063&sspn=0.015263,0.033259&ie=UTF8&ll=43.089576,-77.632656&spn=0.061051,0.133038&t=k&z=13&iwloc=cent&om=1)- is a google images map of the area he was seen in. This ain't the country either. Check out how developed this area is.

Weird....... Never had anything like that in this area. Though, there are many bears south of the city in the southern tier region, which is where he psobably came from.

My Mom was just telling me about this. She lives in Victor not to far from you.

St.Regis
07-04-2007, 11:02 AM
IMO seeing a bear in a new spot (like outside Rochester) is cool. It suggests to me there are enough bears and habitat for them to expand or reoccupy former ranges.

Seeing a bear rip apart a camp and a minivan isn't cool. The bear in Inlet sounds like a rogue. Hope he splits for parts unknown, but I'm guessing he won't.

13331Girl
07-04-2007, 12:56 PM
The bear in the pictures I posted... Has been sighted all week in the area.
He tried to break into a mini-van. He's been seen all over the place.

As for the berry issue... We HAD a huge patch in Eagle Bay. It's gone now.. Ha! Ha!

Little Rickie
07-05-2007, 11:40 AM

Isn't that your back yard?

Mavs00
07-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Isn't that your back yard?

Not literally, but it is a place I drive by 4-5 times a week.

windsong781
07-05-2007, 04:22 PM
According to NH Fish & Game, June and July are the leanest month's for bears due to the fact that the foods that they depend on during the summer month's (primarily berries) will not be fully available for several weeks. They stated that the beechnuts and acorns that fell last fall are now woody sprouts and are too dried up to be attractive to a bear. This is good to know because it probably means that bears roam around more in search of food during these months.

Windsong

Gurn
07-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Just wondering. If the DEC shoots a problem bear, What do they do with the meat and hide??

grout
07-05-2007, 09:13 PM
That is one impressive bear.. I would hope he be relocated and not terminated.. do they even try to do that?

we have many bear incidents where I live Northwest PA.. if you have a bird feeder... you have a bear..

I wish they were not such opportunists.. but that is nature of a bear..

my neighbor tells me they have a set of cubs that like to walk the top rail of their deck... with ma sitting below watching ..

interaction is inevitable and the bear typically pays the price...

bless all the critters of earth!!

BM SIDECAR
07-08-2007, 10:22 AM
The bear in the pictures I posted... Has been sighted all week in the area.
He tried to break into a mini-van. He's been seen all over the place.

As for the berry issue... We HAD a huge patch in Eagle Bay. It's gone now.. Ha! Ha!

TO 13331Girl - This thread is getting confusing. The DEC didn't shoot the Eagle Bay bear, did they?
Thanks.

windsong781
07-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Not your adirondack bear story, but one that upset me when I heard it on the news Friday evening. This took place in downtown Athol, MA. Read the story.

http://www.cbs3springfield.com/news/morelocal/8499762.html

http://www.eyewitnessnewstv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6784322&nav=menu20_3_2_7

Shouldn't the law enforcement officers have controlled the crowd's and insisted that this was an unsafe situation for onlookers???.

Instead, the officers allow crowds to gather. They surround the 500-600 pound bear while waiting for the environmental police to show up. They force it into a corner and give it no option to escape other than by it's failed attempt to charge the warehouse gate where it had been cornered.

I thought one of the most important rule's when dealing with wild animals is to give them plenty of room and to not corner them.

I understand the concern for public safety, but I think that under the circumstances the crowd's should have been asked to immediately vacate the area. After all, the police never said that the tranquilizers would not eventually take effect, but that it was their concern for the people that caused them to put the bear down. No mention was made that this was a problem bear that had shown up in town before. It just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. IMO, they did not give this bear a fighting chance.

Windsong

trouthunter
07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
TO 13331Girl - This thread is getting confusing. The DEC didn't shoot the Eagle Bay bear, did they?
Thanks.

Sidecar, No the Eagle Bay bear was not the one that got shot.

The first pic posted made the local paper!

ken999
07-18-2007, 09:46 PM
...just saw a big one run across the road between my house and the neighbors while slowing down to pull in the drive...we double timed it to the garage to snag the dog before she decided that chasing it was a good idea...