PDA

View Full Version : parc de la gatineau

Nouknitouk
06-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Hi

I've been living in GAtineau (Ottawa, Canada) for 23 years now (which, strangely, is my age also...) and its only when coming to the adirondacks that I started to discover the beautiful park we have here also. Yes, mountains are too small to be called mountains (highest must around 1500 feet) but there are a couple of great trails that I never knew existed.

There are a lot of great bike trails. I didn't liked the park before because I thought there were only 5-6 trails that looked like if it was a road in the middle of the forest. WAY too much people also (probably because they are thinking just like I was..).

anyway saturday at 7h30 I was in the trails hiking on a "never visited by me before" black diamond trail (which are the hardest quote for a trail there). with the map, I ended up walking 17 kilometers through different trails and lookouts.
And funny it did happen after my experience on Cascade (adirondacks), i was attacked by a grouse haha. I was walking on the trail and I heard that same rumble I had heard on cascades, but this time it was close. I could see 2 really small brown birds walking fast on my right, and on my left was the mother. As soon as I saw it, it flew into me (flew is a strong word, in fact.. it doens't seem to fly more than a feet high). After rushing into me 2 times she gave up and I walked away.

So I slayed the mother and ate her for my lunch (haha just kidding).

No need to say that these trails are not well known from the people that actually live there. During the 17 kilometers I walked (on a beautiful saturday morning), I saw a couple, and 2 bikers.

So if you visit the Ottawa region, make sure you go for a hike in the GAtineau Park. Make sure you check the trail map before to select the less-used trails.

I suggest trail 16, and 21-28.

have a nice day
Pat

what'sinaname
06-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi

So if you visit the Ottawa region, make sure you go for a hike in the GAtineau Park. Make sure you check the trail map before to select the less-used trails.

I second that!