Time for Moose road signs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for Moose road signs???

I originally posed this question here, but thought it deserved a topic of its' own.

How does everyone feel about the addition of moose road signs throughout the park (or rather locations deemed neccessary by DEC/DOT)??

My feelings are that the hightened awareness of all drivers in the park, particularly tourists who might not be familiar with the recent population increase, makes it a good idea, for all parties involved!
    peace

DOT's theory on road signs are "as few as possible." They are possible info overload, an object to hit and they do kind of take away from the natural beauty of the adirondacks

Drivers should be attentive to the road. So if a moose is crossing the road people should see them. The signs might help but I would bet by much.

There are alot of deer around too, you would have to add more signs for them also, and that would be alot of signs statewide.

There are currently "Moose Crossing" signs along Rt 30 from speculator to indian lake. I have driven that road many times and every time I drive it I pass the last sign and feel a sense of being let down because I did not see any moose.

Comment

I don't think we need "Moose crossing" signs. I do think we need more deer crossing signs.

"Deer Crossing, next 7 miles" is forgotten after about 1 mile. They should have them at least every mile to keep a heightened awareness.
      "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

People keep stealing the signs up past Speculator. I have a feeling there are a lot of bedrooms and private bars that have Moose signs on the walls.
        "Always drink upstream from the herd."

Comment

I think I've also seen them up around Newcomb.
          Die Free and Live

Comment

And the sign said "long haired freaky moosies will bust up 'ur ride."

Comment

reintroduction is done

Just within 1 mi to North from Speculator by R30 .

Comment

Bust up ur ride is an understatement, when me and my buddy saw the Bull back in Sled Harbor its rump was way over my truck and my truck has a lift kit in it. I can’t imagine running in to that. That was awesome! It was walking up the center of the road and did not even care that we were there.
                "Always drink upstream from the herd."

Comment

True Story

Rookie Trooper in Alaska comes upon several cars stopped in the road. he gets out, and sees that there is a bull moose standing in the middle f the road, stopping traffic on both sides. He hollers, jumps up and down, takes off his hat and waves it. moose just stares at him. He gets back in the cruiser, drives up alongside the first car stopped and turns on the siren.

Bullwinkle charges the cruiser and turns it into a junk heap before walking off into the woods with hardly a glance over his shoulder. Among other damage to the cruiser is a big brown, smelly stain in the drivers seat of the cruiser.

Troopers name was Rockford or Rockwell. Rocky for short.
                  "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly moose View Post
                    People keep stealing the signs up past Speculator. I have a feeling there are a lot of bedrooms and private bars that have Moose signs on the walls.
                    It's funny that you would say this, because last year, as I was hiking behind a trailer off west river rd, I noticed a huge green sign that read, "Wells 14 Indian Lake 27." It filled up the entire back of this trailer and would never have been noticed from anyone going by on the road. I wonder how many of these types of signs have been stolen over the years.
                    I cherish the outdoors. Its the adventure, the unknown, and the call of the wild that gives me its thrill, passion, and deepest respect.

Comment

You know there was an AP article about this a while back and I just can't find it. To sum it up it was a study in Maine I believe about the effectiveness of Moose crossing signs. From what I remember they did raise driver awareness, but the biggest problem is that they're the most stolen sign.

There's a stretch of road up in Canada (Moose Alley) there they have a sign the size of a bull moose and it's welded to it's posts.
                      -Rob

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Comment

Of course, if you have an illiterate Bullwinkle, then he doesn't know where to cross!!

Or is that why they use the Picture?

Now that would be an ideal job.... A Moose Crossing Job unless you have to deal with cross moose of course.

Comment

Ba-dum-chick

Thank you, thank you folks, He'll be here all night... Try the veal
                          -Rob

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                          X