PDA

View Full Version : Rare coyote attack in Mass.

poconoron
04-20-2006, 04:15 PM
They are speculating that the coyote may have been rabid.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/8833811/detail.html?rss=bos&psp=news

StonerLakeLover
04-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Wow, that is an interesting news story. Thanks for posting. What do others think of the possibility of that happening in the Dacks? Do you think the story is an issue of population increase with less habitat or rabies? Is the NY population of coyotes increasing as much as our neighbors in MA? I'm not anti-coyote, the woods are their home and our playground. If you are surrounded by three like the hiker in the story what should you do?

windsong781
04-22-2006, 02:21 PM
I live in Massachusetts and hike in the Berkshires, so this is a bit scary. Obviously a solo hiker is more vulnerable to attack than a group of hikers would be, so was this the main contributing factor in the attack if the cause was hunger and not rabies? And why did only one coyote attack, and not all three. I think that I would be more concerned about a pack of coyotes than one bear as far as the predatory nature of the animals are concerned. It is springtime, and all mammals are trying to feed their young in addition to themselves, so it is probably a time when extra caution needs to be exercised. I am going to contact someone at the MA Div of Wildlife to try to get some answers.
Windsong

StonerLakeLover
04-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks Windsong, looking forward to hearing what you find out.