PDA

View Full Version : NPT April 28 to May 2, 2013

Bonesat97
05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Hello all-
Sorry it took me so long to post a report. My friend John and I headed out Sunday April 28th and had hoped to get to the road crossing at Lake Durant on Thursday May 2nd on the Northville Placid Trail. Days 1 and 2 went exactly as planned. Camped 1 mile past Mud Lake and 1 mile past Fall Stream respectively. Tuesday morning brought us to Spruce Lake and some snow on the trail, especially on the north facing slopes. Up to our knees to this point in spots. Tuesday afternoon saw us trudging thru what turned out to be waist deep snow in some spots on our way to West Canada Lakes. Because of this we decided to head east towards Sampson Lake, where we ended up staying on Tuesday night. Wednesday saw us hiking past Pilsbury Lake and onto the road leading to Sled Harbor. Kind of a crappy walk with all of the logging done there recently. The smell of oil and diesel fuel was strong in the air. We ended up finding a nice spot to camp about a 1/4 mile from the road and we heard lots of owls and a fox almost ran right thru our campsite. Thursday morning found us hiking out to Rt 30 where we hitched a ride with the second car that went by. We took that ride to Indian Lake and then got another hitch to the NPT road crossing at Lake Durant campground. We were there by 10am so we decided to hike into Stephens Pond for lunch. We hiked back out to meet our shuttle back to our car. Little to no snow on that part of the trail. Thanks to Tom Haskins for the Shuttle. He arrived early and is fun to chat with. Snow was really deep in the spots which get very little direct sunlight due to heavy tree cover. On the plus side there were no bugs to speak of. Next time we will wait til early September to hike on the NPT again. We were on the same section of trail in April of 1999 and guess what....same result...snow then too...I guess that I am a slow learner. Happy Trails, Bones

thedoughnut
05-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm gearing up for my solo thru hike soon. I was going to start on this upcoming weekend, but I've had to postpone it till the middle of June.