PDA

View Full Version : Lowville to Eagle Bay via Stillwater & Big Moose

bobrok
05-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Has anyone traveled this road, also called Number Four Road, Stillwater Road, & Big Moose Road depending on where you are?
How far is it paved from either end? Is the dirt road part driveable this time of the year in a 4WD Jeep?
About how long does it take end to end?
Thanks for any help & information.

Roy Wires
05-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I've driven it many times in a car, but I'd watch out this time of year for mud holes. May be 4WD only.

Wldrns
05-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Has anyone traveled this road, also called Number Four Road, Stillwater Road, & Big Moose Road depending on where you are?
How far is it paved from either end? Is the dirt road part driveable this time of the year in a 4WD Jeep?
About how long does it take end to end?
Thanks for any help & information.It is paved only a short distance from the intersection at Number 4. From the turn it is approximately 9 miles into Stillwater, from Stillwater another 9 miles to the pavement near Big Moose Station. Generally a wide hard packed gravel/dirt road, with occasional rocks and holes. It is often scraped smooth by a grader, but you never know when. Could do 50mph if you dare (but definitely not recommended) after it is graded, 30mph or less otherwise in good conditions. Never a concern with a 2WD car if you take it easy. Watch out for crazy speeding ATVs on the hills and curves, big trucks sometimes too. It is open all year, though after thawing and rains this spring it probably needs a lot of work.

Fishat#4
05-18-2011, 08:10 PM
I have a camp on Number 4 Road. Straight aways are mostly less than 20 car lengths. The road is crowned and you slide just as much if not more when the road is dry. It is hard to stay centered. Very dusty if behind someone. No where to pass. Its like a roller coaster. At 35-40mph you slide from side to side and up and down. Blind views all over the dirt road sections. And watch out for the boulders poping up in the road. And just because it is in nowheres land beware of deer, and heavy vehicle travel to Stillwater Inn and boat launch on weekends. Some 80 foot drops on the roadside. Good luck!

St.Regis
05-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Heard the other day that the food at the Stillwater Inn (Hotel?) are great.

Cliff House
05-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Heard the other day that the food at the Stillwater Inn (Hotel?) are great.

Yes, it's a very good place -- nice people and we've always had good meals there. I think it's just called "Stillwater Restaurant and Hotel". It's right beside the parking area for the reservoir. They have a web site (http://www.stillwateradirondacks.com/default.htm)with the menu posted and a web cam (http://www.stillwateradirondacks.com/snow-cam/web-cam1.htm)

bobrok
05-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks to all for the responses. I did the trip today but in the opposite direction-Eagle Bay to Lowville.

The road is in very good condition, not at all muddy or even wet, no rutting to speak of. Did about 35-40 MPH in the Jeep with a full load and 3 people.

Didn't really save any time vs. using the Moose River Road from Port Leyden to just below Thendara, but it was fun to explore a new route and it did cut off the "traffic jam" of Old Forge.

I appreciated the above info.

Rainman
05-26-2011, 08:17 AM
I almost hit a Bull Moose on that road. Be careful at night.