PDA

View Full Version : Question for Twitchell Lake people:

pondhopper
11-07-2010, 08:39 AM
If, any of you still visit this site. (other knowledgeable people welcome)

Does anyone know anything about the history of the old camp on the west side of the South Branch, straight across the river from the old east trail to Terror?

hekki6
11-20-2010, 04:11 AM
Don't know for sure, but you might be able to find ans. in book, "Big Moose Station", by William R. Marleau, who was a forest ranger in the area for around 40 years. In the book, he tells about the area from the beginning, and it is very concise, even to the first settlers,first buildings and camps, and much of the surrounding area , including much about Twitchell Lake and surrounding ponds and rivers, including Terror and it's first campers and buildings there. Book recently came back into print. Got mine at Hoss's Country Store in Long Lake, NY.Good luck, and the book is a great read!!!

pondhopper
11-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks, hekki6!

I lost my copy of that book (along with some other personally valuable stuff) & can't remember, if it was mentioned in there. Dad & Bill were acquaintances & he's mentioned in the book & as a reference.

jbrown
11-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Wow, Bill Marleau was my Great-Uncle! I remember reading his book when I was younger, but my mother owns that copy now and I don't have my own yet. It does have a great deal of historic information in it, especially about the camps in the area, so I'd be willing to bet that you'll find what you're looking for in it.

pondhopper
11-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. It's the old "Lonis Camp" site on pages 28 & 30 in the book recommended above. However, no dates of erection etc. & inferences are it was an old logging camp. Not the same as having a book signed by someone's Great-Uncle & father. but it'll do :)

ADKhunter17
07-09-2016, 06:24 PM
I know this is an old post, but i am quite familiar with the area north of twitchell lake however i have never seen this old camp you speak of. I am also quite interested in the loacation of this site as well as its history.

DaveO
08-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Again, thank you for pointing me to a terrific book written by the person who lived it. "Big Moose Station" is obviously a labor of love by the author. It was easy to skim the minutiae of who married whom and who lived where when, and ignore the typos. The numerous collective oral stories interspersed throughout are fascinating, entertaining and informative. So interesting are the many stories that shed light on the customs, outlooks, and conflicts, based on various ethnic, immigrant, language, and religious groups, and their ways of recreating, interacting, and making a living.