PDA

View Full Version : 2010 ADirondack/Catskill s Calendar contest and fun project.

Neil
06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Adirondack/Catskills 2010 Calendar contest.
What is it?

Is it a calendar, a fund raiser? Is it a contest, a Christmas gift? Is it an opportunity to enjoy the best of the best photography of our friends? Is it going to be a lot of fun?

It's all of the above.

Here are some basics:

All forum members are invited to submit up to 4 of their best pictures, one per season.
The submissions will be posted and put to popular vote.
The 13 most popular pictures will be used to create an Adirondack/Catskills 2010 Calendar.
Members will order lots and lots of these fine calendars. (think home, office, Christmas gifts etc.)

The details:

Email 4 of your best pictures one per seasonto Neilluck@videotron.ca (make sure you put ADK calendar in the subject field)! and indicate your name in the email body text.
Indicate the season during which each picture was taken.
You may email me a lower resolution picture but your-out-of-the-camera original must be close to 3000 by 2000 pixels in order to blow up to 8x10 size at 300 dots per inch resolution or we will not be able to use it.
After the deadline: August 15 I'll post the submissions.
The submissions will only be identified by a number.
A thread will be created where forum members can vote for their favorite pictures.
The 13 most popular entries will be used to create the calendar. (The photographers’ names will appear beneath their photograph)
Entries must be restricted to The Adirondacks and the Catskills and the subject should be indicated and where applicable from where the picture was taken.
The profits generated will be used by the ADKHighpeaks Foundation to finance projects within the Forest Preserve.

Shortly, I will post another thread so people can indicate the number of calendars they plan on purchasing.

Last year, this project was a ton of fun and a big success because of member involvement. Except for one thing: not enough people voted. This year we will be pushing harder to get out the vote.

The deadline for submissions is August 15

Mavs00
06-09-2009, 07:57 AM
One other thought/idea......... Since there were SO MANY great selections that didn't get chosen, if there was a need/desire, we could take ALL the selections (at least a large majority, depending how many we get) and create a downloadable screensaver that would cycle through the pictures.

Sell them for $3-$4 bucks as a "Best of the Forums" slideshow screensaver.

Not too much extra work if you have the software. Neat idea.

Neil
06-09-2009, 08:16 AM
One other thought/idea......... Since there were SO MANY great selections that didn't get chosen, if there was a need/desire, we could take ALL the selections (at least a large majority, depending how many we get) and create a downloadable screensaver that would cycle through the pictures.

I would gladly pay $5 for a screen saver of members' pictures.

Neil
06-09-2009, 08:20 AM
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS

All submissions must be received by August 15, midnight, EST.

After that date my email software will be configured to delete any further submissions. I won't even know they were sent.

Neil
06-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey folks! Just lettin' y'all know that I got some great pictures rolling in! Keep 'em comin'!!

This is a great grass roots project. It's one heck of a positive utilization of the internet and I love the synergy.

Kevin
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM

I was thinking wallpapers too (I don't use a screen saver since I have a LCD and they don't need one since they can't 'burn in' like old CRTs which is why we have screensavers in the first place, so my monitor just shuts off after 10 minutes of inactivity)...

800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1280x800, 1280x900, 1440x900, 1650x1024, 1920x1080, etc. You might be able to cheat and have only the 1280x1024 and 1920x1080 sizes since windows will stretch/squeeze the image as needed. Just make sure they're saved as a high quality JPEG or a lossless format...

Neil
06-09-2009, 02:55 PM
If you're wondering , "wha happened my post?", it's just me keeping this thread tightly focused. :D

Neil
06-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Bump.

Come on folks. Get your pictures in. What are you waiting for? :D

07-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Will the next calendar have the adk related dates and the hunting season dates like the last one did ?

07-01-2009, 12:57 PM
The profits generated will be used by the ADKHighpeaks Foundation to finance projects within the Forest Preserve.

Has a specific project been picked yet ?

Neil
07-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Has a specific project been picked yet ?

We're working on it.

Some ideas we're persuing:

Lean-to reconstruction
Fire-tower reno. (wet bar, balcony, sound system, platform to tee off from)
Riverbank clean-up.

WinterWarlock
07-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Will the next calendar have the adk related dates and the hunting season dates like the last one did ?

Yes, it will...

Neil
08-17-2009, 06:44 PM
If you haven't already, read this (http://adkforum.com/showpost.php?p=126268&postcount=1).

I'll take more pictures until tomorrow noon.

Neil
08-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I have received entries from the following people. If you don't see your name then something went wrong.

Peter Flannigan
BirchBB
Joanne Hihn
Greg MacGowan
Steve Dunbar
Jason Nichols
Stephan Durand*
Terri Maximillyan
Scott Chastenay
Joanne Kennedy
Frank Bradley
Matt Nuessel