PDA

View Full Version : Mid-September Thru-Hike?

CPalmatier
02-19-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm thinking about a solo thru-hike in mid-September, starting around the 12-14. I see lot's of posts about spring (early May), but I don't see many postson mid Sept. Looking at temp & rainfall averages for Long Lake and Lake Placid in Sept, looks like I could expect frost to mid-70's. Is that about right?

How about trail conditions? Low mud & bugs, I'd think, especially if there's a frost.

Is that too early to be competing with hunters for lean-tos? The mountains start to get quiet after Labor Day, don't they?

That's gotta be near peak colors, if I recall correctly. Can anyone recommend a good peak day-trip along the way? I'm thinking 12-14 days (not 3 ;), maybe a night (and a shower, and a shot and a beer) in Long Lake. A side trip or two along the way isn't out of the question.

Info and suggestions appreciated. I've already picked up a lot from this forum.

Thanks,
Chris

fvrwld
02-19-2009, 05:50 PM
I hiked the NPT September 11-21 in 2004 and the conditions were perfect but varied. Your temperature range is about right. I remember the first few nights it was too warm for me to sleep in my 20 degree bag but I was happy I had it when I experienced the first frost of the season during night #8. It wasn't quite peak yet but I remember seeing a lot of red. There were very few bugs and I saw just a few others while on the trail. I did encounter mud but 2004 was a very wet summer.

Based on my experience I would highly suggest the dates you mentioned.

oldsmores
02-19-2009, 05:59 PM
If I ever do a through hike it will be in September or very early October - low crowds, low bugs, water still warm, as dry as you'll get. :thumbs:

The Fireman
02-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Prehaps I'll see you out there, I'm planning on a 9-11 start date and a 12 day trip give or take. I'll be interested to see what others have to say but I figured about the same for weather and the trail being a little less crowded. I'm looking forward to this trip, I section hiked the trail in august of 01, the bugs were bad when it wasnt raining (and it rained alot) but was still a great trip.

CPalmatier
02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Prehaps I'll see you out there, I'm planning on a 9-11 start date and a 12 day trip give or take.

Which direction are you going? I'm thinking south to north.

RC
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM
I'd say mid september would be a great time for a hike. Other then getting some colder weather it should be about perfect.

Neil
02-19-2009, 07:43 PM
You could do it in less than 72 hours.

CPalmatier
02-19-2009, 09:18 PM
You could do it in less than 72 hours.

Sure I could.

In a car ;)

The Fireman
02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
I'll be going south to north, my father and I are definatly going, My uncle's father (uncle by marrage) heard about what we were planning on doing and mentioned that he would like to do the trail again. He's a real nice guy and very knolagable about plants, trees and general ADK info so I really hope he'll be able to join us. I know theres alot I could learn from him in a 12 day period on the trail.

CPalmatier
02-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Sounds like you'll have a good head start on me, Fireman. Enjoy your trip.

We're hosting our annual barbecue here in Michigan on Saturday (9/12), and I'll be looking to take off after that, maybe Monday or Tuesday. After smoking ribs and pulled pork and all the sides for 80, along with a blues band, I'll need Sunday to pick up/recover :).

oldsmores
02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
...We're hosting our annual barbecue here in Michigan on Saturday (9/12), and I'll be looking to take off after that, maybe Monday or Tuesday. After smoking ribs and pulled pork and all the sides for 80, along with a blues band, I'll need Sunday to pick up/recover :).

Will you adopt me????:drool:

ScottR
12-17-2009, 10:57 AM
A few of us are considering a thru-hike on the NPT in mid Sept (or even late Sept/early Oct) for 2010. I've never been on the NPT. Would love to know how your trip in Sept 2009 turned out? How were the conditions? Would you do it again - or would you try Aug next time?

CPalmatier
12-17-2009, 01:35 PM
A few of us are considering a thru-hike on the NPT in mid Sept (or even late Sept/early Oct) for 2010. I've never been on the NPT. Would love to know how your trip in Sept 2009 turned out? How were the conditions? Would you do it again - or would you try Aug next time?

Due to some life issues I ended up going in July instead of September. It was a great trip, and you can find my trip report here (http://chrispalmatier.wordpress.com/my-adirondack-adventure/). I plan on finishing the Long Lake to Lake Placid section at some point, and I'd still like to do it in September. Seems to me that this section would be just spectacular in the fall :).

The Fireman
12-18-2009, 04:09 PM
I didnt make it up this year either, started building my house in may and ran into a few issues (work schedule due to a couple guys out on disability) that slowed progress to the point where I had to use the 2 weeks set aside for the trip to pour my basment walls, floor and get it capped off for winter. Hopefully I'll be able to get there next year or in 2011 depending on how the rest of the house goes up in the spring.