PDA

View Full Version : Poop Pictures

Justin
10-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Let's play a little game of Who Pooped It!:dance:

Anyone want to share some good ol' pictures of animal droppings? :Peek:

We need a good poop thread that could help others (like me) learn to identify the different types of crap that you come across while out in the woods. :D

Ok, here's 3 to start;
Who pooped it? :confused:

-

:rolling:

adkman12986
10-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Big old bear

ADK88
10-25-2008, 07:52 PM
what a fun game. :rolleyes:

timetohike
10-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Categorizing scat by pictures is less accurate and more difficult than using a scat dichotomous key.

One of my classes used a scat key like this:

http://mysite.verizon.net/timetohike/scatkey.gif

sheri
10-25-2008, 08:13 PM
I took a group of Albany inner city teenage boys in to the woods for a "nature experience" with their DEC leaders and a disposable camera provided for each boy. What did they take most of their pictures of? Wildflowers? Birds? Streams? Woodpecker trees? Nope. Scats! Never have I seen so much excitement over scats. There's a psychology Phd study in there somewhere.

stripperguy
10-25-2008, 09:33 PM
I have a scat field guide that I carry in my pack. Unfortunately, it is old and now nearly useless. The samples section has apparently dried up, and I can no longer use the texture to help ID the field sammples.
Does anyone else have one of these scat field guides? Or am I the only one?

cadmonkey
10-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Crappy photos. Anyway, it wasn't me. Last time I was up there, I used the latrine. And I usually put a nice taper on the end of mine.:rolleyes:

Lute Hawkins
10-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Oftentimes you can start identifying which animal the depositor was by the kind of insects crawling on the turd. For instance, the metallic green flies prefer turd from carnivores, while the shiny blue flies prefer turd from vegetablevores. The striped grey-and-white flies aren't picky and will dig in to anything.

From that point, you can examine the contents of the digestive byproduct and try to determine what was being eaten. This is useful if you are knowlegeable in the diets of various fauna. For instance, if you find a prune pit, you can be assured that the turd is not from a squirrel, since prune pits are too large for a squirrel to bother with. If the turd contains plant stems, then it probably wasn't an owl since owls don't eat leaves. If the turd has the aroma of lemon-scented Pledge, then it wasn't a porkerpine since porkerpines don't wax their furniture.

By repetitiously ruling out what the animal wasn't, eventually you'll have narrowed down the list to what the animal probably was.

cadmonkey
10-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Ok, ok. hah, hah ha, sorry guys. ha, ha, ha, ok, ok I'll stop laughing :rolling: :rolling:

Justin
10-26-2008, 08:26 PM
here's 3 to start;
Who pooped it? :confused:

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the chart! :)

Although I'm fairly sure that my third picture is not actually Backwoodsman's doings, (although it may very well be his) but my guess was a very large black bear. The weird thing is that there were about 5-6 piles of equal size, within 10 feet of each other.

The other 2 pictures I am unsure of.
My guess is the first one is Beaver scat, because of the overwhelming evidence of beaver activity in that location, and I had all I could do with keeping the dog from rolling around in it! :banghead:

The second picture, I don't know.....Coyote?

cadmonkey
10-26-2008, 08:46 PM
A bear is taking a poop in the woods. Along comes a rabbit. The bear asks the rabbit, "Hey rabbit, do you have a problem with poop sticking to your fur?"
The rabbit answers, "No, I don't have a problem with that". The bear grabs the rabbit and wipes his butt with him. "Thanks rabbit", says the bear.:rolling:

Justin
10-26-2008, 08:53 PM
A bear is taking a poop in the woods. Along comes a rabbit. The bear asks the rabbit, "Hey rabbit, do you have a problem with poop sticking to your fur?"
The rabbit answers, "No, I don't have a problem with that". The bear grabs the rabbit and wipes his butt with him. "Thanks rabbit", says the bear.:rolling:

That one is older than the crust on your.....:clap:

adk
10-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Bear poop...

Wldrns
10-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Here's one I found a couple of weeks ago in the Black River Wild Forest.

cadmonkey
10-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey Wldrns,
Nice texture with the seeds and all.:rolleyes:

Adk,
I'm sorry, I'm trying to keep it clean. Ha, ha, ha:boozing:

Justin,
Forgive me dude:D

ADK88
10-26-2008, 09:51 PM

oh man. made me :rolling:

Boreal Chickadee
10-27-2008, 12:04 AM
my entry

adk
10-27-2008, 07:41 AM

Now I found the same exact scat type in my yard in Franklin County recently. With the same large seeds mixed into it. Im pretty good with knowing which animal does what scat but this one stumped me. I "guessed" raccoon, but am not sure. I am curious maybe theres a biologist on the website who can jump in on that one?

Professor Hobbit
10-27-2008, 07:46 AM
boreal's looks like otter

The very first one looks like a mustellid (weasel family) especially due to its placement They tend to mark territory by pooping on any prominent log or rock or high point. but it's hard to tell what it's made of, and the scale is tricky. it doesnt look very hairy or twisted. just looking at the pine needles i'd say it's too small for a beaver.

Wldrns
10-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Now I found the same exact scat type in my yard in Franklin County recently. With the same large seeds mixed into it. Im pretty good with knowing which animal does what scat but this one stumped me. I "guessed" raccoon, but am not sure. I am curious maybe theres a biologist on the website who can jump in on that one?Sorry I don't have a boot or other object in view for size scale. The mound I photographed was rather large, could only have been from a bear. If it was a raccoon then I'd surely not want to meet up with it. :eek:

adk
10-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Sorry I don't have a boot or other object in view for size scale. The mound I photographed was rather large, could only have been from a bear. If it was a raccoon then I'd surely not want to meet up with it. :eek:

I wonder what species the seeds in the scat are from, like could they be beech nuts for exmaple etc? Knowing the food certainly would help. Bear is certainly possible.

10-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Any guesses as to what the seeds are in Wldrns pic ?

adk
10-27-2008, 12:16 PM

Here is the image from my yard about a month back. Would love to now what kind of seeds/berries. We had a camp fire for the kids in the yard (marshmellows, dogs etc) so either a racoon or bear (or both) came sniffing around during the night and left this, we found the next morning. I have seen a bear cross the road nearby but if it was bear scat it sthe first time I have seen the scat in the yard, great stuff.

ADK Tank
10-27-2008, 12:30 PM
The seeds in those poop pictures are the cherry pits from the Black Cherry trees. I have never seen so many cherries as there are this year and the bears and even the deer are loving them.

ADK it's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like bear poop to me

Professor Hobbit
10-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I'd say the seeds are some kind of wild cherry (chokecherry probably). not blueberry or raspberry/blackberry.
kind of hard to tell. any other guesses?

adk
10-27-2008, 01:17 PM
The seeds in those poop pictures are the cherry pits from the Black Cherry trees. I have never seen so many cherries as there are this year and the bears and even the deer are loving them.

ADK it's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like bear poop to me

Thanks folks, I just went on a website looking up Chokecheery in scat and up comes pictures of bear scat looking pretty similar great stuff

Professor Hobbit
10-27-2008, 04:42 PM
It's tough to identify scats during berry season. You can get a rough idea by the size, but practically everything eats berries, even "strict carnivores" like fishers and coyotes. even professionals have to look at the DNA to be sure sometimes.

MADDOG
10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the chart! :)

Although I'm fairly sure that my third picture is not actually Backwoodsman's doings, (although it may very well be his) but my guess was a very large black bear. The weird thing is that there were about 5-6 piles of equal size, within 10 feet of each other.

The other 2 pictures I am unsure of.
My guess is the first one is Beaver scat, because of the overwhelming evidence of beaver activity in that location, and I had all I could do with keeping the dog from rolling around in it! :banghead:

The second picture, I don't know.....Coyote?

Beaver poop, I think is in pellet form. This log looks more like skunk or fox (in my opinion)
maddog

cadmonkey
10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
This is definitive proof the bear did it.

Connie Bear Orion
10-31-2008, 12:19 PM
I have a scat field guide that I carry in my pack. Unfortunately, it is old and now nearly useless. The samples section has apparently dried up, and I can no longer use the texture to help ID the field sammples.
Does anyone else have one of these scat field guides? Or am I the only one?

I have one but I do not feel it for texture.

boreal's looks like otter

The very first one looks like a mustellid (weasel family) especially due to its placement They tend to mark territory by pooping on any prominent log or rock or high point. but it's hard to tell what it's made of, and the scale is tricky. it doesnt look very hairy or twisted. just looking at the pine needles i'd say it's too small for a beaver.

A good way to tell otter especially if its getting a little old is the fact its loaded with fish scales.

Neil
10-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Hillman did this.
http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor%20pursuits/lewey_br/IMG_1964.jpg

And this one too. He has a varied diet.

http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor%20pursuits/ausable4/IM003166.jpg

Neil
10-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I really worry about you folks that photograph sh!t piles,what the heck is wrong with you?
Some of us have $hit for brains.:D

Here's some more!
http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor%20pursuits/puffer-gore/IMG_0234.jpg

sheri
10-31-2008, 08:07 PM
A bear got into our screen porch one night and ate all our garbage (literally licked the garbage bags clean). When I came downstairs at 2 am to see what all the noise was I startled him (and him me) and he went flying out the front door and deposited a scat pile the size of a size 14 hiking boot on our lawn on his way through. To this day my husband likes to note that I once scared the s--- out of a marauding bear.

cadmonkey
11-01-2008, 02:48 AM
sheri,

Your husband has a way with words. :rolling: